Entry Clearance Assistant
- Job TypeContract
- Job FieldAdministration / Secretarial
Grade: A1 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 6 months
Job Category: Other British Government Departments (Partners across Government, including UK Visas)
Job Subcategory: UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration)
Start Date: 1 June 2017
Main Purpose of Job
- The Deputy British High Commission is looking for 2 Entry Clearance Assistant to work in the Visa Section.The successful candidate will undertake a variety of tasks to support visa operations. This position is a 6 months contract from June-November 2017.
What will the Jobholder be Expected to Achieve:
- We are looking for someone with good oral and written communication skills. In particular, the successful candidate should be able to work quickly and accurately, often under pressure, have a positive approach to tackling problems and a willingness to take on new tasks.
- The most important qualities required are diligence, resilience, self motivation, a flexible approach and the ability to work well as part of a team.
- Undertaking a variety of administrative tasks to support delivery of remote printing processes for decisions made in Sheffield and Abuja.
- Oversight of daily deliveries and dispatch of application dockets and decisions with the commercial partner; checking manifests and applications and ensuring that TEEs and bags are securely sealed.
- Photocopying and management of the registries; including weeding and destruction of files in accordance with destruction guidelines and under the direction of the entry clearance manager.
- Contacting customers as directed by the entry clearance officer/manager.
- Managing the returned passport process in accordance with current guidance.
- IT literate in terms of using computers for email on a daily basis.
- Able to communicate fluently in both written and verbal English.
- Previous working experience within the last 12 months of working within a visa section, or other departments within High Commissions or Embassies overseas.
- Familiarity with software packages (notably MS Word, Excel and straightforward databases).
- Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace.
- Starting monthly salary: N 263,239
- Please complete the application form in full. Failure to do so may result in a determination that you do not meet the requirements for the position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
- Successful candidates not resident in Nigeria will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.