Child Protection and Education Project Manager – Nigeria
Child Protection and Education Project Manager
Position Start Date : 1st of July 2019
Duration : 6 months
Location : Maiduguri – Nigeria
Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
Tdh has established a Country Office in Nigeria since the last quarter of 2017 to try to complete the covering a part of the needs of crisis affected people. For the moment, the organization is operating only in Borno State, essentially in the Eastern Part of the State, the Eastern Crescent -> from the North-East (Cross Kuawa, Kukawa, Monguno) to (Konduga, Gwoza, Banki). Some of the operations are implemented with the collaboration of a local partner (CHAD). Tdh is targeting people’s affected by the crisis by addressing some humanitarian gaps related to the access to some primary needs (Water Supply, Non Food Items distributions, Hygiene Promotion) or social basic services (as Child Protection, Educational Support, Primary Health Care…).
In term of Child Protection in Emergency (CPiE), the activities are divided in 5 main components:
- Child Protection Case Management: responsive integrated service approach.
- Psychosocial Support: structured PSS activities for children and adolescents in CFS/YFS focusing on resilience, wellbeing & life skills; Structured PSS activities for parents/caregivers within Emotional Support Groups.
- Community Outreach: protection outreach, strengthening community based mechanisms through mobilization, sensitization & awareness campaigns.
- Capacity Building: training local CP & Non-CP Actors, protection mainstreaming.
- Family Tracing & Reunification & Alternative Care: Separated & Unaccompanied Minors.
- Those activities are implemented directly or in collaboration with a local parter over 13 different locations. Moreover, an experimental “Education in Emergencies” project has been launched among 1 of those locations mid-2018.
The Child Protection and Education Project Manager is working under the supervision of Child Protection Coordinator.
- He/She is in charge of the implementation and supervision of the Child Protection and Education projects in Borno State, Nigeria.
- He/she contributes to the development of a CP and Education program strategy at country level together with the Child Protection coordinator, CPiE Expert at HQ and the Country Representative.
- He/she works in close coordination with governmental and non-governmental agencies, with the cluster system to develop, monitor and orientate the CP and Education projects.
- He/she is expected to participate in child protection and education assessments, program design and implementation at proposal and strategy level, as well as support on fundraising, recruitment and procurement, liaising and linking with other sectors in general.
- He/she oversees the monitoring & evaluation of child protection and education activities.
- He/she follows Country strategy to work with all relevant authorities at district and community level (civil, religious, police and all other services) for a better implementation, acceptance and ownership in improving the conditions to protect children.
- He/she commits to observe discretion on any information related to the organization functioning and beneficiary related issues.
Tdh expects that its contractors’ professional conduct reflect proper behavior in accordance with local culture and traditions. The incumbent assures the moral protection of the name of Terre des hommes and defends in all circumstances the interests of the movement.
Tdh intervenes without any affiliation for politics, religion or financial profit. He/she will direct his or her activities and engagements without preoccupation of political, racial or religious affiliation.
- Professional diploma or university degree in Social Studies, psychology or any other related discipline
- Previous experience with an NGO is mandatory.
- Previous experience in emergency response is appreciated.
- Project management experience is required.
- Experience in protection, notably child protection, and Education is required
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English C2
- Knowledge of the Nigerian context would be a distinct advantage.
Expatriate contract under Swiss labour code 2’950 CHF (~2’550 €) < > 4’300 CHF (~3’700 €) net /month according to experience x 13, Holidays: 25 days per year. Local accommodation and transportation, Health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight.
Child Safeguarding Policy :
- Raising awareness within the Foundation on violence against children
- Providing guidance to employees and others and defining expectations when it comes to preventing, raising, denouncing and responding to issues of child abuse
- Reducing the risk of child abuse by selectively recruiting employees and others
- Reducing the risk of child abuse by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
Please applying directly online: http://www.jobs.net/j/JINRyFyz?idpartenaire=20007
Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process – with the large number of applications received, we unfortunately cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thanks for your understanding.
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.
To know more about Terre des hommes: https://vimeo.com/253387418