Community Mobilization Assistant – Yobe
Support the State team to ensure commitment and involvement of local authorities and community members in the programme; and support community mobilization to ensure participation, sustainability of the development programme as well as that the voices of community members, including women and children are heard.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Field Officer
Staff directly reporting to this post:
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
* Identify policy and practice change, based on Save the Children’s experience that would promote and protect the rights of children.
* Support in formulating key advocacy messages and targets from lessons learned, assessments, research and evidence gained through project implementation on WASH, child Protection, Food security et al
* Ensure that voices of children form the basis of Save the Children’s advocacy strategy.
* Acquire information and understanding of social policy and adapt strategies as necessary.
* Ensure Save the Children visibility is seen in the state
* Actively participate in all Save the Children and CSO Coalition driven activities in the state
* Establish as well as sustain existing synergy among coalition
* Engage with the state and local governments in policies review when needed
* Facilitate meetings of the coalition groups
* Prepare monthly reports of activities carried out
* Develop good knowledge of local and national government structures, parliamentary and political processes and key decision-making structures and how to influence them.
* Initiate and support lobbying, communications and other activities to inform and persuade policy makers, including donors and politicians, of the value of Save the Children’s policy recommendations.
* Support in building systems for research, analysis and documentation that underpin evidence-based advocacy and influencing at state and national levels.
* Produce reports, briefing papers and presentations for internal and external audiences, as directed.
Collaboration & Representation
* Develop and sustain strategic relationships with other agencies engaged in advocacy and policy work.
* Support in maintaining a network of external contacts with key individuals in the government, NGO sector, civil society and the media.
* Support in facilitating capacity building of staff from Save the Children and partner agencies in advocacy and communications.
* As a spokesperson for Save the Children to a variety of external audiences including policy makers and the media, as directed.
Provide technical support on voice and community mobilization to State programme team
* Develop a community mobilisation strategy in collaboration with the team and ensure implementation
* Train and mentor Local consultants – Community support
* In collaboration with the rest of the programme team prepare and facilitate training
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
* accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
* high level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
* holds self and others accountable
* Zeal to work with Children
* future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
* working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
* excellent communication and interpersonal skills
* builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
* approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
* designing more effective admin systems
* willing to take disciplined risks
* Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
* A degree in health, social work, psychology, communications or related social science field.
* Substantial experience in advocacy and policy development / research in the development context.
* Good understanding of the possibilities and tactics for influencing decision and policy makers, politicians, donors, and other key actors.
* Knowledge of the media and its role in raising awareness and shaping public policy.
* Good understanding of strategies for achieving child protection, Psychosocial programming policies through participatory processes, and the links with gender, diversity and other aspects of identity.
* Excellent conceptual and analytical skills and demonstrable ability to think strategically, innovatively and practically to ensure achievement of desired change objectives.
* Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences at local, state and national levels.
* Ability to build and maintain relationships with partner agencies and key contacts in the government, NGO, civil society (coalitions) and media sectors.
* Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines.
* Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, adaptability and ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
* Good computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, email / internet) and ability to be self-supporting in most administrative tasks.
* Fluent English language skills (written and verbal).
* Commitment to the values, mission, aims and policies of Save the Children.
* Experience in training others in advocacy techniques and influencing tactics.
* Prior work experience in advocacy in Nigeria.
* Experience working on development or humanitarian programming.
* Local language skills (Hausa).