Compliance Manager at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in north-east Nigeria. With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, and ECHO the humanitarian program has been focusing on food assistance, non-food items distribution, protection, livelihoods support, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors. Mercy Corps plans to scale up and expand its humanitarian response in north-east Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied assistance in a wider geographic area.
Job Title: Compliance Manager
- Help identify efficient and effective solutions to operational issues which ensure compliance with Mercy Corps’ policies and donor regulations, mitigate the risk of fraud and corruption, yet also facilitate the achievement of program objectives.
- Assist Programs and Finance with adapting established procedures or, as necessary, designing and documenting new procedures for program activities which involve providing a direct financial benefit to beneficiaries (i.e. Vouchers or Cash For Work).
- On a sample basis, regularly perform reviews of procurement and program transactions and supporting documents to ensure transactions are in compliance with Mercy Corps policies and procedures and grant agreements and regulations;
- For both the country and field offices, perform internal control reviews of in-country processes including cash management, procurement, logistics, and stock management including food commodities, assets management and coordinate with the relevant departments to correct weaknesses and improve controls as needed; prepare action plans to address findings and monitor the status of action plan implementation;
- Prepare a Country Office Risk Register in conjunction with program managers and ensure quarterly updates;
- In coordination with country management and HQ finance, assist with the follow-up and resolution of external audit or Mercy Corps Internal Audit findings;
- Conduct regular anti-corruption and fraud prevention trainings to all staff.
- Stay current on the active programs and grants of Mercy Corps Nigeria as well as their specific regulations and requirements. In coordination with Finance and Programs, develop and/or monitor grant-specific compliance trackers.
- As needed, draft prior approval, waiver and other compliance requests to the donor on behalf of Mercy Corps in coordination with HQ Compliance, the country Finance Manager and individual program managers/directors.
- Perform other related special projects and duties as determined and assigned by management.
- BSc. university degree in finance, accounting or a related business field is required; Certified Public Accountant is a plus;
- 5 years+ related work experience with a not-for-profit organization;
- Strong background in compliance accounting and internal controls; experience in auditing strongly preferred.
- Ability to work with various administrative and program levels in the organization;
- Strong organizational and research skills with a broad understanding of various program sectors and activities;
- Extensive knowledge of donor rules and regulations including USAID, ECHO, DFID, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in financial and operational data analysis;
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel;
- Fluent written and oral communication in English. Fluency in Housa is welcomed.
- The position will be based in Abuja, but will require frequent travel (60%) between field locations, including insecure north -east.
- Security in Abuja is generally good, although there are times when security is an issue. Housing, health care, water, electricity and consumer goods are all reasonably accessible and there are good international and domestic travel options from Abuja Airport.
- Abuja is an accompanied location suitable for spouse/partner or dependents.
- Air travel is necessary to get to some field locations. Mobile phones services are widely available.
- Internet is available in all Mercy Corps offices, although might be inconsistent.
- Travel to field sites will be required where living conditions are clean and secure, but basic. There’s reasonable access to most consumer goods, although they can be expensive.
- There is good number of school with different education philosophies and curriculum ( British, American, French, German to name the few)
- Considering the frequent travel from/to different field locations, this position will require flexibility in terms of accommodation and logistics.
- Housing in the field will be in the guesthouse ( in Biu) and hotels/guesthouse as applicable in each location.
- Security in the field locations require additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously.