HR and Administrative Manager JPO – Nigeria
HR and Administrative Manager JPO
Position Start Date : 07.2019
Duration : 6 months
Location : Maiduguri – Nigeria
Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled
Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief organization, based in Lausanne (Switzerland). Every year our projects support more than 2 million children (3 million in 2016) and their families in over 35 countries. We are part of the Terre des hommes International Federation (TDHIF), with 9 other sister organizations in Switzerland, Europe and Canada.
Tdh has established a Country Office in Nigeria since the last quarter of- 2017 to try to complete the covering a part of the needs of crisis affected people. For the moment, the organization is operating only in Borno State, essentially in the Eastern Part of the State, the Eastern Crescent -> from the North-East (Cross Kuawa, Kukawa, Monguno) to (Konduga, Gwoza, Banki). Some of the operations are implemented with the collaboration of a local partner (CHAD). TdH is targeting people’s affected by the crisis by addressing some humanitarian gaps related to the access to some primary needs (Water Supply, Non Food Items distributions, Hygiene Promotion) or social basic services (as Child Protection, Educational Support, Primary Health Care…).
The Human Resources Manager is responsible ofr the day-to-day HR & admin activities in the Maiduguri base.
He/she guarantees the correct implementation of HR and Tdh policy on the mission.
He/she supports the HR & administrative coordinator in th defining and implementing the national HR policy.
He/she actively participates in implementing training and development programs for national staff.
He/she takes on the functions of the HR & administrative coordinator in case of absence.
Implementation of the national HR policy:
- Take part in the development of the national HR policy;
- Participate in defining and monitoring the implementation of HR policy;
- Propose improvements to employee working conditions;
- Ensure appropriateness and coherence between JOB description;
- Ensure the Tdh functions Grid is applied on the mission and the recruitment process respected;
- If necessary, participate in rewriting the Salary Grid (benchmark…) and social policies, Evaluate risks linked to changes in compensation;
- Continually ensure coherence between Tdh HR policy and national laws.
Administrative management of personnel:
- Assist in welcoming and integrating new personnel, ensure they receive administrative briefing;
- Supervise the administrative management of personnel recruitment and hiring;
- Supervise paper and digital filing, as well as ensuring the security of administrative documents;
- Check updates of individual personnel files;
- Draft employment contracts for employees, and ensure that they are adhered to;
- Ensure that performance reviews are carried out according to defined procedure, and monitor the professional development of personnel;
- Participate in the implementation of career planning and the management of staff mobility;
- Centralise training requests from teams and set up a training plan;
- Make a list of schools and training programs in the country;
- Assist in ordering and determining disciplinary measures;
- Supervise the collection of elements needed to establish wages and monitor their proper implementation;
- Calculate taxes, complete returns and make statements and payments to the necessary organizations and social policies;
- Assist in conflict management and resolution;
- Support for the meetings and communication with personnel;
- Track the cost of living for Maiduguri;
- Consolidate and update the mission organization chart.
- Define the needs of administrative & HR personnel, and recruit according to the resources allocated;
- Train, support and evaluate his/her team at his/her assignment base;
- Plan and direct the activities of his / her team;
- Lead meetings for the his / her team;
- Ensure minimum staffing levels for the administrative service during periods of absence (vacation, illness…).
Administrative management of the mission
- Supervise the GH management;
- Support and follow up for premises contract management;
- Support for internal audit and external audit;
- Verify and validate all contracts drafted at the base.
- Support the mission monthly reporting for HQ and for external stakeholders;
- Assist the HR & administrative coordinator with creating operational proposals and with drawing up HR reports.
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English C2, French an asset (some worldwide tools have not been translated yet).
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration or a related field;
- At least three (3) years of progressively responsible HR experience;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent record keeping and documentation skills;
- Familiarity with donor rules and regulations;
- Familiarity with local employment law;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office; and
- Ability to work well and punctually under pressure
- A commitment to excellence; attention to detail.
Please be advised that living conditions in the field (volatile security context, basic living conditions, shared showers/toilets, curfew, restriction of movements, etc.) can be challenging and although Tdh does the necessary to ensure security and wellbeing of the staff, people used to a certain level of comfort might not feel at ease in the field.
Expatriate contract under Swiss labour code 2’200 CHF (~1’900 €) <> 2’400 CHF (2’100 €) net /month x 13 times (+ Withholding AVS candidate for Switzerland). Vacancy: 25 days/year, Health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, location, return flight.
Duration: 6 months, depending on funding.
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies :
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure: raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
Please applying directly online: http://www.jobs.net/j/JvGSuCCC?idpartenaire=20007
Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process – with the large number of applications received, we unfortunately cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thanks for your understanding.
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.
To know more about Terre des hommes: https://vimeo.com/253387418