Knowledge Management and Communication Advisor at the Federal Department of Rural Development (FDRD)
Federal Department of Rural Development (FDRD) – The Federal Government of Nigeria has secured a credit from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) for the implementation of Value Chain Development Programme (VCDP).
The VCDP will address the constraints along the cassava and rice Value Chains in Anambra, Ebonyi, Benue, Taraba, Niger and Ogun States. The programme comprises three complementary and mutually reinforcing components viz: Agricultural Market Development; Smallholder Productivity Enhancement: and Programme Coordination and Management.
The specific objective of the Programme is to enhance on a sustainable basis, the incomes and food security of poor rural households engaged in production, processing and marketing of rice and cassava in the participating states.
For effective programme take-off, the FMARD is constituting a National Programme Management Unit (NPMU) at the Programme Headquarters in Abuja. Consequently, part of the proceeds of the VCDP credit will be applied to engage the services of the following officer at the Programme Headquarters, Abuja.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Knowledge Management and Communication Advisor
- The Knowledge Management and Communication (KMC) officer will have overall responsibility for coordinating, supporting and facilitating the KMC activities related to the Programme Implementation.
- The Officer will work closely with the Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation (PME) Officer in provide leadership, guidance and capacity building in KMC and PME.
- The Officer will develop and implement the Programme Knowledge Management and Communication Strategy.
- Develop and manage the implementation of the KMC strategy.
- Prepare a KMC plan for actions at national, state and local levels.
- Develop and manage relevant databases.
- Develop relevant guidelines for enhancing institutional culture of learning and knowledge-sharing.
- Play a leading rote in external relations, building relations with media personnel, liaison and public relations.
- Guide staff on information collection, processing, and information dissemination methods.
- Foster partnerships and linkages for broader knowledge-sharing and learning with other related initiative, aiming at synergy and alliance building.
- Ensure that innovative experiences, naming and good practices are captured, synthesized, documented and shared continuously within the Programme, within the relevant stakeholders and, with the IFAD Country Programme Team (CPT) and with in-country partners, IFAD and other regional and international partners.
- Put in place systems to facilitate the collection, analysis, documentation and sharing of lessons and good practice.
- In close collaboration with the PME Officer ensure the effective management of the KMC Programme, including quality management, reporting, and monitoring and evaluation; ensure that information systems are integrated.
- Provide technical backstopping and guidance to capacity building activities of the Programme;
- Ensure that the relevant tools and processes are in pace for implementing staff to collect, process/analyse, store and share
information and knowledge, and ensure relevant staff have the capacity to use them.
- Establish information technology requirements for effective implementation of the IKMC strategy.
- Assess and establish appropriate communication channels to be used for different stakeholders.
- Plan and coordinate alt communication and advocacy campaigns through mass media, newsletters, stakeholders meetings, and other communication channels as appropriate.
- Develop and disseminate information and knowledge products as appropriate.
- Facilitate programme’s annual review workshops, impact assessment studies, Mid Term Reviews and completion.
- Assist in developing communication tools to enable monitoring and evaluation of project’s activities.
- Monitor and evaluate performance of the programme’s IKMC strategy.
Terms of Appointment:
- Two year contract, subject to renewal for a maximum of 6 years, based on performance.
Qualification and Experience
- Higher-level University Degree in afield related to communication, Journalism, or a related discipline. Experience in Agricultural Communication will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in information, knowledge management, and/or development communication, preferably in
- tire agriculture and rural development sector. Experience in extension services an advantage.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in ICT.
- Proven ability in documentation and advocacy; demonstrated capacity to develop and oversee implementation of presentations, communication and reporting skills
- Strong oral and Written communication skills.
Application Closing Date
18th February, 2014.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications to:
Federal Department of Rural Development
No. 30 127, Algiers Street,
Beside PDP National Secretariat,
Wuse Zone 5, Abuja, FCT.
- This position is open to serving public officers as well as other interested candidates.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. All applications must bear the positions applied for, on the top right hand side of the envelopes.