Materials Development Specialist | ReliefWeb
Creative is seeking a Materials Development Specialist for an anticipated donor-funded project in Nigeria aiming to enable more effective state and non-state systems to deliver foundational skills to all children. The Materials Development Specialist will be responsible for the development of reading and instructional materials, ensuring that the content of the materials developed is effective. S/he will also be responsible for leading the production of multimedia classroom and instructional materials to ensure they adhere to the content developed by the Ministry of Education.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Materials Development Specialist will report to the Curriculum Development Advisor.
- Review and develop teaching manuals and guides for in-service training that will be used to roll out the teacher trainings;
- Develop training materials that include how to teach the component skills of reading, classroom-based reading assessment, and methodology for teaching fundamental reading skills to children, as well as oral reading skills development in Hausa;
- Ensure that all pedagogical materials align with government requirements and build on existing training materials as recommended by the Ministry of Education;
- Ensure availability of materials available in innovative IT formats to support self-learning where possible; and
- Collaborate with the other projects to ensure linkages and shared approaches and materials.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s Degree in education or related pedagogically oriented field preferred;
- At least four (4) years of experience in work specifically to improve education programming directed to rural, ethno-linguistic underserved populations;
- At least six (6) years of general work experience;
- Prior experience with supporting family/community engagement of education outcomes;
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken and English;
- Demonstrated knowledge of cultural barriers to education and to reading in Nigeria;
- Demonstrated experience on other international development projects strongly preferred; and
- Fluency in English is required; fluency in local languages is highly desired.
Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.