Polio Data Manager, Abuja
Job no: 519013
Position type: Temporary Appointment
Division/Equivalent: Dakar (WCAR), Senegal
Department/Office: Abuja, Nigeria
Categories: Communication for Development (C4D), P-4
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a better future
How can you make a difference?
Key Expected Results
- Leadership in the preparation of the Polio Communication situation analysis by compiling data, analyzing and evaluating information, and writing chapters of the analysis. Maintains a data bank of social indicators which are relevant to the Polio Communication Programme.
- Coordinates the preparation of the Polio data compilation, monitoring, evaluation and research plan. Responsible for leading the integration of Polio activities within the Country Programme Recommendation (CPR) and all related documents.
- Manages databases, well-designed data collection methodologies and research protocol for the Polio Programme (Sentinel Site Survey, rapid assessments, KAP, polling, etc.). Participates in the development and introduction of new approaches and methods in project monitoring and evaluation and data analysis. Serves as a focal point for the introduction of the new M&E Software, including Evaluation Study Summary Sheet and Programme Review Sheet. Organizes and conducts necessary training in this regard.
- Under the direction of the Chief of C4D/Polio, support the development of presentations and analysis of data sets for the communication component of the ERC and Independent Monitoring Board reviews.
- Analyses and evaluates data to ensure achievement of objectives and recommends corrective action, when necessary, to meet programme/project objectives. Provides technical advice to programme staff, Emergency Operation Centre Situation Analysis Working Group, government officials and other counterparts and coordinates and manages the data-related and evaluative elements of polio communication programmemilestone meetings, Expert Review Committee meetings, grant reviews, mid-term reviews, strategy meetings, previews and reviews and annual reviews.
- Enhance data collection and analysis for sentinel sites in communities identified in high risk areas where communication activities can be more closely monitored and then from which data can be gathered over the course of several IPDs. The data will be analyzed and correlated with communication interventions to demonstrate trends in immunization that can be linked to the social activities
- Leads the preparation of the monitoring and evaluation documents within the polio communication section. In close collaboration with the Communications specialist (polio communication) identifies and disseminates relevant statistical information/results of the polio communication Situation Analysis to international, national, zonal, state and local levels.
- Participates in the development of the polio data collection work plan and ensures compliance to specific assigned objectives. Provides guidance and support to staff.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Advanced university degree in Statistics, biostatistics or Demography along with real time experience in communication/social data management with emphasis in research/data collection methodologies, data analysis, monitoring and evaluation. Knowledge of GIS software, e.g. Health Mapper, Action for the Right of Children ARC View, Expanded Information on Immunization (EPI-Info), new technology platforms for data collection and analysis; and interactive digital media.
- First university degree with additional two-years of relevant experience is acceptable in lieu of and advanced university degree
2. Work Experience
Eight years of progressively responsible relevant work experience in the development, planning and management of research functions in social/international development programmes, with practical experience in managing data collection, analysis and dissemination processes to specific programmes.
Fluency in English required. Fluency in a second UN language or a local working language of the duty station would be an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Remarks: Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: Jun 17 2019 W. Central Africa Standard Time
Application close: Jun 23 2019 W. Central Africa Standard Time