Project Director | ReliefWeb
Save the Children International is inviting applications for an anticipated project. Selected applicants will be given a provisional offer letter and confirmed once the project is awarded.
ROLE PURPOSE: Strategically lead and manage the implementation of high quality accelerating nutrition project nationally, ensuring the targets outlined in the contract are met to agreed standards.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Director Programme Operations
Staff directly reporting to this post: TBC
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
* Manage and lead the programme according to the agreed strategy and deliverables as per the proposal/contract.
* Ensure the programme meets or exceeds agreed targets by reviewing programme performance data and programme management arrangements on a regular basis, identifying and agreeing residual actions and mitigation strategies.
* Ensure that an effective monitoring and learning system is in place for achieving prior agreed targets in relation to programme activities, budget allocations and financial expenditures.
* Develop programme systems that are flexible and responsive to changing demands of programme implementation and state dynamics.
* Work closely with the LGA and State Government to efficiently meet deliverables.
* Ensure strong budget management and compliance to donor’s requirements, enabling the project to demonstrate value for money to the donor.
* Ensure the production of timely high quality reports and documentation both to meet donor and internal demands.
* Work in collaboration with relevant CO technical teams and HQ TAs to ensure that the programme achieves technical excellence, embedding continuous improvements in operational aspects of programmes.
* Identify and effectively manage all key risks related to the programme especially in relations to the performance pay clause.
* Identify, implement and improve accountability mechanisms for operating under WB’s commercial arrangements including contract compliance considerations.
* Manage sub-grantees/downstream partners and ensure they meet their deliverables.
* Inspire, lead and motivate state programme teams to deliver on programme objectives.
* Ensure that the project is appropriately staffed and trained, including the appropriate combination of expertise across technical and operational areas.
* Liaise with government at all levels and other development partners present in the area. Represent the project in the PMU, state level and other meetings.
* Ensure programme implementation demonstrates high levels of commitment to Save the Children and our vision, mission and values in order to ensure the objectives of your role and the country programme are met.
* Ensure the effective and efficient use of all Save the Children resources and ensure safety in the workplace.
* Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s Policies (including Chid Safeguarding and Fraud) to ensure maximum protection for children
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
* accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
* high level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
* holds self and others accountable
* creating best-in-class EA function
* future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
* working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
* excellent communication and interpersonal skills
* builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
* approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
* designing more effective admin and value for money systems
* willing to take disciplined risks
* honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Education and Experience/qualifications:
* Master’s Degree in a relevant field (e.g., Nutrition, Medicine, Sociology, MBA);
* At least 10 years of experience managing development projects in Nigeria or similar context, with a strong focus on field implementation.
* Strong communication, and interpersonal skills in English, with substantial experience in managing multicultural teams
* Prior experience of designing and/or delivering large scale (in excess of USD5m) health or nutrition programmes.
* Proven ability to manage large consortiums.
* Demonstrable track record of meeting or exceeding programme targets, while maintaining technical quality.
* Demonstrated experience of working with national and/or State level government structures to strengthen the capacities.
* Demonstrated experience of supporting procurement and management of supplies
* Self-motivated and results orientated.
* Highly numerically articulate with a track record of data manipulation and use of spreadsheets and reporting systems.
* Experience in management of finance and budget monitoring and risk management.
* Proven ability to motivate and develop others
* Highly diplomatic and emotionally intelligent with strong oral and written communication skills.
* Experience of building, leading and developing a team of senior staff with different backgrounds and expertise
* Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in
* Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles
* Experience managing projects with a focus on behaviour change would be an asset.
* Experience on World Bank funded projects.
* Ability to coach and mentor multi-sectoral partners