Security Officer, Maiduguri, Nigeria
Title: Security Officer
Supervisor: Security Coordinator
The Security Officer under the direct guidance of the Security Coordinator will mitigate the risks poised to Programs, personnel and assets through provision of expertise and focused Security Management support.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- S/He will focus on the continuous implementation of strategies and protocols to ensure a high level of security for staff, assets and programs.
- S/He will maintain a high level of contextual awareness of his/her operating area and strong coordination with program and program support teams.
- S/He will promote a strong Safety and Security culture at field offices through continuous security trainings.
- S/He will support in carrying out security risk assessments (SRA) based on contextual risk levels including the Safety and Security for all IHANN staff, eligible dependents, resources, assets, facilities, programs while ensuring compliance with FHI 360’s Security policy.
- Assist the State Offices, field locations in the day to day conduct of office security, ensuring adequate responses to security incidents both natural and man-made.
- Supervise implementation of security contractors and guard companies as per agreement.
- Manage physical security, fire safety and office evacuation drills periodically.
- Establish network with other key security players for information sharing and joint lobbying on security matters where possible.
- Attend security meetings such as INSO and provide feedback from such meetings.
- Implementing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and regulations for working in the North-East.
- Draft security advisories and for general situations and specific incidents during periods of heightened threat.
- As part of the North East Security Team, deal with security incidents involving FHI 360 staff and assets, inform as necessary and recommend response actions.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Competent and literate in English, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions
- Sound judgment and the ability to work effectively with others at all levels
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills
- IT literate, MS – Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Interpersonal communication and proven written / presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage under stressful conditions
- Demonstrated knowledge of the historical and socio-political context of Nigeria
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree preferable in Security Management or related field.
- Professional certification in security risk management or advanced security management highly desirable.
- Security or management certifications will also be an added advantage.
- 5 – 7 years working in security Industry, experience working in complex insecure settings preferred.
- 3 years working in Security management for NGO or donor funded organization.
- Experience in liaising with law enforcement agencies in Nigeria.
- Experience in managing incidents, incident mapping, developing and producing high quality security reports and assessments.
- Minimum of 2 years of demonstrative security management experience in hostile environment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package , professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others – and yourself.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
Requisition – 2019200590
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research, technology, communication and social marketing – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
As we evolve to meet the challenges of the future, we stand committed to the principles that have guided our organization for the last 40+ years. Our work continues to be grounded in research and science, strengthened by partnerships and focused on building the capacity of individuals, communities and countries to succeed.