United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Job Vacancy Available
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Human Resources Assistant
Vacancy Number: 2017/VA/023
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Duration of Contract: Two months (with possible renewal)
Supervisor: Admin/Finance Officer
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Administrative and Finance Officer, the Senior Human Resources Assistant will assist in personnel administration, performance management, welfare issues and other HR related matters of staff under the area of responsibility (AOR). S/he will liaise with the Human Resources Officer on recruitment processes and appointment of staff,
- Assist in the recruitment, assignment and reassignment of local general service staff. Prepare documents for the interview panel for the recruitment of local staff.
- Process local staff members’ contracts, entitlements and benefits in accordance with Staff Rules and established HR procedures.
- Administer UNHCR medical insurance plan for locally recruited staff. Provide administrative support to staff and dependants in case of medical evacuations.
- Maintain personnel records in the office, including maintenance of the attendance, overtime and leave records.
- Initiate calculations for payments related to personnel issues such as settlement of travel claims, overtime claims, hazard pay, MIP reimbursements, medical and security evacuations, shipment costs.
- Initiate routine correspondence on HR matters for the authorizing officer’s approval.
- Advise staff members on their rights, obligations, benefits and entitlements, and assist them in interpreting UN/UNHCR staff rules and regulations.
- Assist newly-arrived international staff with administrative formalities related to their accreditations, security/ground passes, submission of completed forms and related documents to headquarters, arrange travel and hotel reservations
- Liaise with the HR Officer and logistics section in coordinating of shipment of personal effects of newly arrived international staff.
- Perform other duties as required.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of Secondary Education with certificates in Secretarial and Administrative Training.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
- Good communication skills (written and oral).
- Minimum 5 years of previous relevant work experience.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR administrative procedures and processes and exposure to provision of support services in an international organization.
Desirable Qualification and Competencies:
- Working knowledge of other UN language(s).
- Field experience with UNHCR and/or with other humanitarian organizations is an asset.
- High IT affinity and working experience of PeopleSoft/MSRP.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications following the procedures outlined below:
Staff members who wish to be considered for this Fixed Term position should complete and attach a signed UN Personal History Form (P11) as well as a Fact Sheet to their written application and send it via email ONLY to: [email protected] quoting in the subject line the vacancy number and title of the position.
External candidates should submit their Application/Letter of Motivation, Resume, Fully Completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) and send via email ONLY to: [email protected] quoting in the subject line the above vacancy notice number and title of the position.
- There is no need to send other certificates with the application at this stage.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.
Application Deadline 23rd October, 2017.