A NATIONAL COORDINATOR FOR ECONOMIC & SOCIAL RECOVERY PROJECT
Action Against Hunger (Action Contre la Faim – ACF) began operations in Nigeria in 2010 in response to the high rate of chronic malnutrition in Northern Nigeria, focusing on integrated programming and looking at the Nutrition for children, pregnant and lactating mothers. In 2011, we expanded our work to begin implementing nutrition development projects in Jigawa and in Yobe. Following the crises in Northeast Nigeria, we further expanded our operations in Borno State in 2014 in response to the crisis to address the Nutrition, Health, Food security & livelihoods, WASH, and shelter needs of conflict-affected communities. We are operational in 11 Local Government Areas of Borno, 12 in Yobe and 3 in Jigawa.
The Nigeria mission came under ACF-FR management on January 1st 2019. Financing is issued from donors such as DFID, ECHO, GAC, OFDA, SDC, UNICEF, EU, USAID, AFD, French Ministry of Foreign affairs, SIDA and UNOCHA NHF. The total budget amounts to approximately 70 million USD. The mission has over 600 staff including over 40 international employees. There are three base offices: Damaturu, Maiduguri and Dutse and four sub bases including Monguno, Potiskum, Bade and Damasak.
Since January 2018, our teams in Borno State have deployed emergency response to over 25,000 people. There are presently 350 staff in this area covering Monguno, Kukawa and Nganzai Local Government Areas working on food assistance, WASH, Health & Nutrition and recovery programs, particularly in IDP camps. All Borno based expacts are assigned permanent rooms in the guesthouse. In Maiduguri ACF has a well-equipped Gym in the Guest House for the use of staff (all sorts of basic equipment and machines). Maiduguri is the capital city of the Borno State all the INGOs working for the emergency response in Borno have their field offices in the city. You will find many departmental stores/super markets from where one can get easily the items for the daily use.
RESILAC is a regional program implemented across four countries by different partners. Action Against Hunger is the leading organization in the consortium with CARE international, Search for Common Ground, Neem foundation and Group URD implementing resilience project aimed at improving economic and social inclusion and recovery in the Lake Chad region across Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. In Nigeria, the project is implemented in the Borno state across three Local Government Areas (LGA).
For more information about the project: https://ec.europa.eu/trustfundforafrica/all-news-and-stories/le-projet-resilac-redressement-economique-et-social-inclusif-du-lac-tchad_en
As the National Coordinator for the project, you will be responsible for the coordination and implementation of the Economic & Social Inclusive Recovery (RESILAC) Project for the Lake Chad, which include activities in the country of intervention, in conjunction with the regional office, the host mission and the project partners.
Your main responsibilities are:
Ensure the functioning and coordination of the national RESILAC program unit in Nigeria
- The understanding and appropriation of the project by the field teams of ACF and partners teams intervening in the program.
- Provide support to the state and national level operation committees and ensure that stakeholders are engaged.
- Integration and cooperation of all technical pillars in the overall implementation strategy at national level.
- The transmission to the partners of the information collected and analyzed.
- Integration of the recommendations made by technical referents in connection with the RESILAC project.
Support the implementation and ensure reporting of the project.
- Plan and monitor the implementation of RESILAC‘s activities in Nigeria, its evaluation and its internal and external accountability.
- In liaison with the regional office, validation of key milestones and implementation methodologies.
Ensure the quality and accountability of the RESILAC Program.
- The project technical conformity with the international rules, guidelines and technical standards as defined with the technical referents of the project.
- To promote overall quality of project implementation in order to maximize impact.
- Report to the Area Coordinator and regional coordination team any major difficulties encountered in implementing the recommendations and / or the necessary adaptation measures.
Provide technical and administrative leadership to the project team.
- Supervision of program staff (team of over 15 staffs across the three LGAs).
- Identify need-based trainings and work with HR team to develop, plan and implement relevant training plans for each team member.
- Define objectives, update staff job descriptions and facilitate regular performance appraisals with support of the HR team.
You have at least 3 years of work experience coordinating development activities or humanitarian activities in a complex environment (insecure / relatively isolated setting).
You are known for your management and coordination skills (project management in consortium, country projects, multicultural technical teams, etc.).
In your past positions, you had to translate analysis and evaluation into operational planning and strategy.
You have excellent written and oral communications skills, and you have advanced knowledge of donors’ guidelines and procedures.
You are fluent (written and spoken) in English – this is mandatory.
Having a training in in safety and security management will be a plus.
Specific conditions / Salary
Status: unaccompanied – the position is based in Maiduguri
Contract: 12 months fixed term contract under French legislation
Starting date: June 1st 2020
Remuneration and benefits :
- Monthly gross salary from 2450 to 2800 € upon experience
- Per diem and living allowance: 539 € (cf eurocost) net, field paid
- 450€ as country allowance
- 16% of monthly gross for non-French citizen for retrocession of retirement and unemployment insurance
- child allowance
Medical coverage: 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR:
- 25 days of paid leaves per year
- 20 RnR per year
- 215 € at each RnR period (averagely every 3 months)
- Support for transport tickets to the reference recovery area.
- Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge ©.
- Participation to external trainings costs upon eligibility of the request.