Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone. We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Consultant – Rapid Response Mechanism Interventions Evaluation
Rationale for the Project:
- Action Against Hunger is a key member of the core Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) Technical Working Group in North East Nigeria, along with DRC and NRC that works in partnership with Federal, State and LGA level Government Officials, as well as, relevant Sector-working group to coordinate responses.
- In 2019, the Action Against Hunger Rapid Response Team was the first partner to provide critical emergency services for several crises – the influx of IDPs in Monguno IDP in January, the fire outbreaks in Gajigana in April, and the influx of returnees in Rann May. Action Against Hunger also engaged in three joint need assessments together with other RRM partners in Gajigana, Maiduguri and Borno State following the floods in 2019 to inform subsequent responses.
- Action Against Hunger is able to quickly operationalize a high quality RRM response and adequately monitor provided services with the presence of a fully RRM dedicated team that includes an Emergency Coordinator, an RRM Wash team, a Logistics Manager and M&E manager. With three years of experience in launching RRM responses in Borno and Yobe state, Action Against Hunger has developed relationships with communities and Government stakeholder’s and has established acceptance and a wide awareness of the humanitarian services we deliver to conflict affected populations. As a result, in 2019 the RRM team’s surveillance of emergencies received first-hand information about new crisis from members of the communities that had previously received support.
- Action Against Hunger would like to reflect on these past three years of implementing RRM in Northeast Nigeria, through an external independent study.
Geographical scope covered by the analysis:
- The geographical scope of the evaluation will cover Borno and Yobe States, Nigeria (subject to change depending on security concerns).
Purpose and Objectives of the Study
Objectives of the Evaluation:
- The overarching purpose of the evaluation is to assess the overall performance of the project in line with North East RRM strategy and to determine if it has achieved its intended outputs and outcomes.
- Likewise, the study should clearly explain why (or why not) these outputs and outcomes were achieved through an integrated analysis of the entire result chain (inputs, activities, outputs outcomes and likelihood of impact) and other contextual factors.
- The study will use OECD DAC criteria (effectiveness, efficiency, relevance, sustainability and impact) in addition the consultant will look at design, coverage and coherence.
- The consultant will draw the extract the best practices, lesson learned, what worked and what did not and recommendations to enhance the quality of AAH future programming for emergency response.
Profile of the Evaluator
The study will be carried out by an international or national consultant with the following profile:
- Experience in WASH and NFI sector with particular experience in rapid emergency response
- Significant field experience in the evaluation of humanitarian / emergency projects;
- Relevant Degree / equivalent experience related to the study to be undertaken;
- 3-4 years Years of experience.
- Significant experience in coordination, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programs;
- Good communications skills and experience of workshop facilitation;
- Ability to write clear and useful reports (may be required to produce examples of previous work);
- Fluent in English;
- Understanding of donor requirements;
- Ability to manage the available time and resources and to work to tight deadlines;
- Independence from the parties involved.
- Familiarity with the context of the humanitarian situation in Northeast Nigeria will be an added advantage.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their expression of interest electronically with subject “PD-ABU-01114-001_EoI for Independent RRM Evaluation Consultancy” to: [email protected] in order to receive the full ToR.
Application Deadline: 24th September, 2020.
Note: Proposal without request of the full ToR will not be accepted.