The West African Power Pool (WAPP) was created by Decision A/DEC.5/12/99 of the Twenty-second summit of the ECOWAS Authority of Heads of State and Government. By Decision A/DEC.18/01/06, the Twenty-ninth summit of the ECOWAS Authority of Heads of State and Government held in Niamey, adopted the Articles of Agreement for WAPP organization and function.
Administration, Protocol and Logistics Officer
Location: PMU Head Office, Abuja, Nigeria
Project Name: WAPP North Core/Projet Dorsale Nord Interconnection Project
Employing Institution: Project Management Unit (PMU) of the North Core Project
Reports to: Project Director
Subordinates: Superintendent, IT Officer, Executive Bilingual Secretary (dotted line reporting), Bilingual Assistants (Pool), Security Staff, Support Staff
Appointment: Full time, approximately 36 months
Language required: Proficiency in English and French
- The West Africa Power Pool (WAPP) is a specialized institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) which, among others, ensures regional power system integration and the realization of a regional electricity market.
- Within the framework of the West African Power Pool (WAPP), the Governments of Nigeria, Niger, Benin, Togo and Burkina are collaborating to develop a sub-regional interconnection project referred to as the 330 kV WAPP North Core Project. The project involves the construction of approximately 875 km of 330 kV transmission lines from Nigeria to Burkina Faso, through Niger, and Benin, the construction or extension of seven substations, and the extension of two national control centers. The project will also involve the electrification of rural communities located within a 5 km radius on both sides of the line, and the implementation of several environmental and social mitigation measures. These include, among others, the implementation of Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs) to provide for persons and communities affected by project implementation activities.
- The project is being financed by the Agence Française de Développement (AFD), African Development Bank (AfDB), European Union (EU) and the World Bank (WB).
- Given the regional dimension of the project, and in order to enhance its coordination, Energy Ministers of the North Core countries agreed to put in place an institutional framework which includes the establishment of an Project Management Unit (PMU) to, among others, assist in the preparation and physical implementation of the North Core project. 2/3
- The Administration, Protocol and Logistics Officer will oversee the administrative, human resources and protocol functions of the PMU.
- She/he will ensure that policies are in place and are implemented to guarantee the efficient management of his/her key functions.
- The Officer will manage all project assets and ensure timely payment of PMU’s financial obligations with respect to utility, logistics and supplies, insurance and maintenance among others.
- The jobholder will also be responsible for organizing meetings, travel arrangements for the team and other officials, official ceremonies, training and development activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Key duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Coordinate actions relating to human resource management ie. recruitment, training and development, performance management, employee relations and separation among others;
- Develop and implement human resource management and administrative policies and procedures and ensure that administrative management controls are consistent with that of donors and WAPP;
- Monitor and coordinate all human resource management issues in collaboration with Line Managers including performance assessments, health, welfare, leave plans and records, and ensure that the team is kept informed of location and availability of team members;
- Prepare, monitor and review the approved work program and budget expenditures for the administrative department and the Project Director’s office;
- Comply and work with other project units with respect to required budget planning and reporting procedures and cost-effective utilization of program resources at the PMU;
- Conduct, and coordinate as necessary, procurement monitoring and evaluation of contracts/payment to vendors and contractors for services in at the PMU and field offices;
- Plan and coordinate all meetings, special project events, official ceremonies, training programs and other official events;
- Facilitate and track all travel arrangements and logistics for official missions involving the North Core project team and other officials;
- Manage all protocol arrangements required for the effective organization of PMU activities;
- Set up and maintain an efficient filing system, maintain all administrative and staff records and provide administrative support to team members;
- Ensure availability and adequacy of office supplies and stock inventory, oversee the identification of PMU’s IT needs – hardware and software, and coordinate enhancements as required.
- Ensure effective facilities and asset maintenance ie. office space, buildings, equipment, and general facilities as well as schedule/coordinate movement of vehicles and drivers, including drivers’ schedules; preventive maintenance and repair of vehicles;
- Maintain effective relations with the North Core Project’s external partners and provide excellent hosting services to all WAPP/North Core officials and visitors;
- Ensure effective coordination of security and safety issues in conjunction with Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) HQ;
- Ensure all employees are trained in difficult emergency situation and security protocol;
- Support the Project Director in the overall management of the office by planning and maintaining key office schedules, preparing and filing minutes of all staff and management meetings as well as other official events.
Qualification and Experience
The ideal candidate must have the following:
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in Business or Public Administration, Human Resources, Law or any Business-related degree with a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in Administration, Human Resources Management or related field;
- Hands-on experience in people management, preparation of budgets and performance reports;
- At least three (3) years of experience must have been acquired in a donor-funded project environment.
- Candidates should be familiar with the general policies and guidelines of international institutions, such as WAPP, The World Bank (WB), African Development Bank (AfDB), European Union (EU) and Agence Française de Développement (AFD);
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other data processing software) and general computer skills; internet savvy;
- Office administration principles and practices;
- Knowledge in the management of office logistics.
Desirable Qualities, Skills and Competencies:
- Strong administrative skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities and meet tight deadlines with minimal supervision;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written), and ability to deliver quality output ie. accurate, precise and thorough;
- Advanced filing skills (both electronic file management and hardcopy filing protocols); Proficiency in SharePoint would be an advantage;
- Candidates should have the skills and ability to use ERP tools such as SAP, together with associated sub modules;
- Able to work well in a team and under pressure; able to demonstrate professionalism – competent, reliable and ethical;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, attention to detail and excellent problem-solving skills.
- It is required that the Administration, Protocol and Logistics Officer is proficient in English and French (Read, write, speak).
- The contract is for a period of 36 months with a probation period of six months.
- The performance of the Administration, Protocol and Logistics Officer will be evaluated annually by the PMU Director.
- Key Performance Indicators derived from the duties and responsibilities above, and agreed upon between the jobholder and the PMU Director, would be used as the basis for measuring the performance of the jobholder.