AN EMERGENCY COORDINATOR – MAIDUGURI – NIGERIA
Created in 1979, Action contre la Faim is a non-governmental organization that fights against hunger. Its charter of humanitarian principals- independence, neutrality, non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, professionalism, transparency – has been part of its identity for more than 40 years. Its mission is to save lives by eliminating hunger through the prevention, detection and treatment of under-nutrition, particularly during and after emergency situations linked to conflicts or natural disasters. Action contre la Faim focuses its actions on 5 main areas of expertise: Nutrition and Health – Mental Health and Care Practices – Food Security and Livelihoods – Water, Sanitation and Hygiene – Advocacy. In 2017, Action contre la Faim provided aid to 20 million people in more than 46 countries worldwide. www.actioncontrelafaim.org
We are looking for: AN EMERGENCY COORDINATOR – MAIDUGURI – NIGERIA
In Nigeria, based in Maiduguri,
The Nigeria mission has been open in 2010 by ACF-US and came under ACF-FR management in January 1, 2019. ACF Nigeria is currently undertaking the following activities: Security and Livelihoods Nutrition, Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene. The mission consists of a team of 550 + national employees and about 50 international employees.
The total budget amounted to approximately 54 million USD in 2018. Action Against Hunger Nigeria’s main donors are USAID, DFID, EU, AFD, GFFO, ECHO, SIDA and SDC. Other than the coordination office in Abuja, there are three state offices in Damaturu, Maiduguri and Dutse and four sub bases including Monguno, Potiskum, Bade and Damasak.
With a team of approximately 450 staff, ACF assists approximately 300,000 persons per month in Borno and Yobe States with lifesaving but also with longer-term projects. The security situation is tensed, especially in Borno. A security coordinator is based in Maiduguri and will work closely with you.
There are presently around 300 staff in this area covering multiple LGAs working on food assistance, WASH, Health & Nutrition and recovery programmes, particularly in IDP camps. All Borno based international staff are assigned permanent rooms in the guesthouse in Maiduguri and Monguno. There is about 15 team members based in Maiduguri but responsible for RRM activities in 2 states (Borno & Yobe). Our RRM Programme is currently multi-sectorial but largely WASH, Nutrition and Health. Security level in Yobe and Maiduguri is at Level 3 (Precautionary) and remains remains unpredicatble, however we do have effective security plan in place for all staff including International staff in Maiduguri.
In Maiduguri ACF is having a well-equipped Gym in the Guesthouse for the use of staff the gym is having all sorts of basic equipment and machines for the work out. As Maiduguri the capital city of the Borno State due to which all the INGOs working for the emergency respose in Borno are having their field/base offices in Maidurgi which are approx. 46 organizations. A large number of international staff are working and based in Maiduguri during the weekend and other natinal holidays the internationals taff are having get together in which they come together and having good time. In the city there are many departmental stores/super markets from where one can get easily the items for the daily use.
As Emergency Coordinator, you would be in charge of the development, appropriate implementation and coordination of AAH Nigeria’s multi-sectoral emergency program strategy in North East Nigeria under a rapid response mechanism (RRM). More precisely, you would be in charge to:
- · Emergency program strategy and humanitarian alert analysis
- · Ensure high quality project implementation in accordance with donor and AAH regulations
- · Lead the preparation, regular updating and implementation of a dedicated security plan for RRM interventions in line with AAH standards and procedures
- · Support Deputy Country Director for northeast to develop and enhance relationships between the mission and donors’ representatives, civil society, private sector, government agencies and other humanitarian organizations
Do you fit with the position?
- You hold a Masters degree in International Development, Humanitarian Assistance, Political or Social Science, Economics, Business Administration or related field.
- You have a significant experience with INGOs, particularly in complex emergencies and high-security environments, and you have a previous experience in RRM implementation/coordination. If you have a previous experience with AAH in emergency and post‐emergencies, it would be considered as an asset.
- You have excellent management skills (HR, projects, stress management) and advanced knowledge of donors’ guidelines and procedures (ECHO, UNICEF, DFID, OFDA, etc.);
- You are able ability to organize, train and motivate a multicultural team
- You have proven ability to build external relationships with diplomacy, tact and professionalism in a complex and demanding environment;
- You have excellent negotiation skills;
- You have strong analytical capacity for program design and development;
- You are disciplined and able to work and arrive at decisions autonomously with minimal guidance;
- You are fluent in English (professional English needed) and have excellent drafting and written skills.
Contract: 12 months fixed term contract under French legislation
Remuneration and benefits :
- Monthly gross salary from 2450 to 2800 €
- + 450€ as country allowance
- · Per diem and living allowance: €539 (cf eurocost) net, field paid.
- · + 16% of monthly gross salary as reimbursement of retirement insurance for non-French citizen.
- · + Child allowance, limited to 5 children.
Transportation and accommodation:
- · Coverage of transportation costs to and in the mission.
- · Individual room in guesthouse covered
Medical coverage: 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR:
- · 25 days of paid leaves per year.
- · + 20 RnR per year.
- · + 215 € at each RnR period every 12 weeks and coverage of the transportation expenses
- · Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge ©.
- · Technical trainings at HQ or regional level (averagely 1 per year).
- · Intermission Workshop once a year.
- · HEAT training
- · Participation to external trainings costs upon eligibility of the request.
How to apply:
To apply, please visit our website: https://recrutement.actioncontrelafaim.org/index.php/fr/offre/4702