The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Tite: Steward
Job Code: 12/20 ABJ
Grade: A1 (L)
Type of Position: Permanent
Start Date: 1 June 2020
Type of Post: British High Commission
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Protocol, Visits and Events
Main Purpose of Job
- The main purpose of this job is to provide routine stewarding duties and support to the Residence Manager and Team
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake daily general upkeep and cleanliness of the residential entertainment areas: 10%
- To keep pantry, drinks refrigerator, and cupboards well stocked at all times and maintain sufficient supplies of other household items, including caring for china and stock keeping silver, cutlery and glassware and conduct regular drinks stock valuation: 10%
- Check equipment daily to ensure they are in good working condition and promptly report any defects/malfunctions to the Residence Manager: 10%
- Understand and practice the principles of environmental stewardship: 10%
- Liaise with the Chef on food and drink requirements for proposed menu for functions: 10%
- Contact additional stewards as required once numbers agreed with Residence manager: 10%
- To work with the Chef on table setting and managing the food and beverage service: 10%
- Assist in the set up and break down of service areas for all special functions (buffet, barbecue, etc.): 10%
- Work with the team to cover events at the Residence in the absence of the Residence Manager: 10%
- Provide administrative support to the Residence team: 10%
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Knowledge and experience in Food and wine pairing
- Previous experience as a professional steward and/or professional hospitality industry;
- Able to work accurately on own initiative without direct supervision, while keeping the team appropriately informed;
- Customer focus with ability to interact with contacts at all levels, both internal and external;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Courteous and discreet manners;
- Ability to prioritise, effectively manage and multitask;
- Proficient organisational and administrative skills, with an eye for detail
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Silver Service Certificate
- Flexibility to work evenings (and occasionally at weekend events);
- Good IT skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office;
- Changing and Improving, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
- Starting monthly salary: N 298,960.22
Other benefits and conditions of employment:
- Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delays in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 15th April, 2020.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Post are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Country.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to:
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British High Commission/Embassy do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.