Communications and Public Affairs Manager (English) at Google
Google is an American multinational technology company specializing in Internet-related services and products. These include online advertising technologies, search, cloud computing, and software. Most of its profits are derived from AdWords, an online advertising service that places advertising near the list of search results.
Communications and Public Affairs Manager (English)
About the Job
- As a member of the Global Communications & Public Affairs team, you will work cross-functionally to help communicate with journalists and other thought leaders; devise specific communications materials and campaigns; engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers; and develop print and web-based material supporting these campaigns. We’re looking for great communicators who can understand complex issues and explain them in person and also via well written, simple blog posts, FAQs, video scripts and more.
- As a Communications and Public Affairs Manager, you will be responsible for handling communications around our business platforms, consumer products and the landscape in which we operate. You will work closely with sales, marketing and product teams and will partner with media outlets and influencers, shaping communications and showing how we help others to grow and succeed. You’ll be responsible for managing media interest in who we are and what we do.
- We help inform and educate users, advertisers, partners, opinion leaders–and our own employees–about the benefits of Google’s products, our distinctive company culture/values and our approach to the big public policy issues of the day.
- You are quick-witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious. To succeed in this role, you are willing to try new things and can manage numerous projects with tight deadlines. Things happen quickly at Google, and to do great work, you need to be an enthusiastic team player who can work cross-functionally with partners across PR, comms, marketing, product and beyond.
- Develop close, productive relationships with journalists, social influencers, key partners, and influencers in tech, business, and mainstream press in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Develop written materials including story pitches, messaging guidelines, press releases, Q&As, presentations, and speeches. Think creatively, take smart risks, and address tough issues as they arise.
- Collaborate with Marketing, Sales, Public Policy and other teams across Google to create compelling communication strategies that show the usefulness and key benefits of our programs, initiatives, services and products.
- Represent Google as a company spokesperson for a wide variety of media and blogger inquiries. Assist with all communications activities in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Train and provide guidance to company officials for press activities. Help manage a PR agency to support day-to-day inquiries, special projects, and events.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in communications within a business, media, non-profit, or similar environment.
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically.
- Ability to work with colleagues in various geographies and understand cultural differences.
- Knowledge of additional languages.
- Ability to think, plan, and execute on multiple projects simultaneously in an organized fashion.
- Ability to focus, prioritize, and maintain good judgment in a fast-paced environment.
- Effective team player who can lead efforts across disciplines.
- Clear, creative communicator who can tailor messages to the right audiences.
How to apply
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Nairobi, Kenya; Lagos, Nigeria; Johannesburg, South Africa.