BraveICONS Global – Our client, the National Democratic Institute (NDI), is a nonpartisan, non-governmental organization that responds to the worldwide quest for popular civic participation, open and competitive political systems, and representative and accountable government. Since its founding in 1983, NDI and its local partners have worked to establish and strengthen democratic institutions and practices by building political and civic organizations, safeguarding elections, and promoting citizen participation, openness and accountability in government.
They are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Consultant
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Contract
- NDI is leading a consortium of partners to implement a five-year program termed sustaining electoral engagement for democracy (SEED).
- The program aims to further strengthen the engagement of Nigerian civil society in support of credible elections and democratic progress in the country.
- The program would enhance citizen observation and analysis in advance of, during, and after the 2023 elections cycle; increase participation of marginalized populations in the electoral process; and counter hate speech, misinformation, and disinformation while promoting civic education. NDI and it’s implementing partners will support Nigerian groups to increase the participation of women and marginalized groups in electoral processes.
- Groups will advocate for policy reforms to reduce barriers and implement projects to expand voter education and access to information.
- The program will also build on efforts to address hate speech, misinformation, and disinformation, particularly that which is targeted at women.
- NDI and its partners will work with local organizations and institutions on civic education campaigns to increase civic participation and knowledge of democratic systems and values, with an aim of increasing citizens’ commitment to their roles and responsibilities within Nigeria’s democratic system.
- The program will prioritize strengthening Nigerian civil society’s ability to sustain and scale their efforts to improve their country’s democratic practices beyond the life of this program.
To strengthen the engagement of Nigerian civil society in support of credible elections and democratic progress in Nigeria, the program has the following objectives:
- SEED objective 1: Enhanced citizen observation and analysis in advance of, during, and after the 2023 elections cycle.
- SEED objective 2: Increased participation of marginalized populations, such as women, youth, persons with disabilities, and internally displaced persons in the electoral process.
- SEED objective 3: Strengthened civic education and efforts to counter hate speech, misinformation, and disinformation.
The theories of change for the SEED program posit that:
- IF civil society organizations engage effectively to increase electoral participation, observation, and reporting;
- IF marginalized groups, including women, youth, PWDs, and IDPs, increasingly participate in the electoral process; and
- IF an educated citizenry is cultivated through civic education and countering misinformation and hate speech.
Then the electoral process will become more peaceful, inclusive, transparent, and credible, positively contributing to Nigeria’s democratic development.
Scope of Work
- Support SEED to develop a communication plan for the SEED program. The communication plan will provide a comprehensive approach that responds to the objectives of the program and the context of the challenge(s) to be addressed and outline plans for implementation, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Provide mentorship and training for NDI and its implementing partners on implementing the communication plan.
- Provide long-term oversight and support in implementing the communication plan.
Deliverables and Timeline
This consultancy will be for a period of up to 25 days over a period of 20 months to track the implementation of the communication plan. NDI expects the consultant to deliver on the following deliverables:
- Holistically review the SEED program description, work plan and Activity Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan and identify all targeted communication needs and requirements of the program. (2 days)
- Conduct brainstorming sessions and key informant interviews with NDI staff, partners and relevant electoral stakeholders to articulate the needs of the project and emerging opportunities. (2 days)
- Develop a comprehensive communication strategy and action plan (in soft copy) for SEED. (5 days)
- Conduct training sessions for NDI and its partners to help understand how to conceptualize the dynamics around communication and implementing the communication plan. (2 days)
- Provide support to NDI in implementing and tracking the communication plan. (10 days).
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced Degree in Journalism, Political Science, Social Science, Public Affairs, Public Relations, Development Studies, Communications, Social Media or other relevant fields.
- Minimum of 10 years with a proven professional record working in media, online and offline communication, strategy development, social and behavior change interventions; experience with campaigns related to development, democracy and innovation.
- Ability to analyze and communicate complex information for SEED targeted audiences.
- Experience in writing publications and reports on development, democracy and innovation, and for digital media.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required, including strong professional communication ability.
- Experience working in a role to build the capacity of others.
- Strong written and spoken English competence.
- Experience working with USAID and FCDO projects would be an advantage.
Application Closing Date
1st May, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for this consultancy position as advertised.
- A detailed CV stating with evidence, experience in similar projects, and contact details of referees.
- A financial proposal specifying an all-inclusive daily consultancy fees rate in naira for the tasks specified under deliverables and timeline of consultancy.