Communications Specialist, GHSC-PSM | ReliefWeb
The USAID Global Health Supply Chain-Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) project is collaborating with governments and non-governmental agencies to ensure the uninterrupted supply of health commodities in support of United States Government-funded public health initiatives in Nigeria. The project provides direct procurement and supply chain management support to the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), and Population and Reproductive Health. For more information about GHSC-PSM, please see https://www.ghsupplychain.org/. As one of the largest programs among the project’s more than 30 country offices, the project office is high profile both within Nigeria and globally. The office’s KMC team is also a leader and influencer for other office’s KMC efforts around the world.
The Specialist is a member of a global network of knowledge management and communications (KMC) staff in more than 30 countries worldwide, and will receive support, coaching, templates, and tools from the headquarters KMC team in Arlington, Virginia USA. GHSC-PSM country office in Nigeria is led by Chemonics International; however, the Multimedia Specialist will be an employee of Panagora Group, which has leading responsibility for the project’s KMC activities. Additionally, the project’s website and social media are managed out of the project headquarters, requiring close collaboration between Nigeria and the United States.
The Communications Specialist supports the project’s internal and external knowledge management and communication activities in Nigeria.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Support implementation of the project’s strategic knowledge management and communications plan.
- Promote and ensure compliance with internal and external communications standards, guidelines, processes, and protocols, including branding and marking.
- Organize and maintain communication resources such as standard operating procedures, brand and marking guidelines, trackers, tools, templates, visual assets (including photographs, video, icons, illustrations, and information graphics) on an approved shared platform and ensure that current and new staff know how to access and utilize these resources.
- Build solid working relationship with Directors, Deputies, Regional Managers and Program Managers to support project activities, providing editorial, design, and production support as needed.
- Liaise with Directors, Deputies, and Program Managers or their designees to write, edit, design, and produce engaging, accurate, and useful knowledge products and resources. These may include print and digital handouts, FAQs, talking points, newsletters, success stories, articles, blog posts, presentations, infographics, posters, journal articles, conference and event materials, training resources, and social media content.
- Review and edit performance monitoring reports prepared by the M&E team.
- Manage and maintain an editorial calendar, monitoring the progress of drafts, reviews, and revisions to ensure that deadlines are met.
- Manage editorial and design reviews and revisions, supervising fact checking, copy editing, design, production, and shipping, as needed.
- Work closely with the GHSC-PSM HQ on communication campaigns, annual reports, and other communications activities. Provide new and/or updated written material for websites, newsletters, and social media.
- Plan and facilitate workshops and learning activities such as brown bags and learn bites to enhance staff learning on topics such as branding compliance, how to write success stories, capturing compelling photos, etc.
- Participate in team building, capacity building, and work planning activities to promote and support best practices in knowledge management and communication.
- Manage the distribution of media release forms and maintain a file with signed release forms.
- Participate in face-to-face meetings, conference calls, and other relationship management activities with project partners and stakeholders to facilitate knowledge management and communications.
- Lead on developing presentations, concept notes, reports, case studies and learning notes GHSC-PSM events and forums
- Contribute to and facilitate the production and dissemination of communication products, notes, articles and materials, including through social media.
- Ensure there is continuous flow of advocacy events, meetings, and initiatives
- Ensure there is a continuous flow in the production of communication materials and products, and consistent dissemination to the public and to key partners through various media and channels.
- Carry out additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Knowledge Management, Public Health, International Development or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in communications, experience working in the supply chain, public health, and/or USAID-funded projects strongly preferred.
- Thorough understanding of communication theory and practice.
- Excellent command of the English language (verbal and written) with a proven ability to communicate complex information for non-experts (writing samples will be requested).
- Experience developing, designing, and producing content for print and digital media.
- Experience facilitating formal and informal learning events, including brown bags, learn bites, workshops, and trainings to socialize, support, and sustain communication activities.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, with the proven ability to meet tight deadlines and juggle numerous projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment. Open to change, reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior to ensure that performance is consistent, even under pressure.
- Ability to work independently and in teams in a multi-cultural context. Collaborates and supports the development of others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with all levels of GHSC-PSM staff, partners, and other stakeholders.
- Proven ability to meet tight deadlines and juggle numerous projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrate good judgment, leadership, versatility, and integrity. Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit.
- Excellent computer skills in a full range of software, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), Adobe Photoshop and/or other graphics programs, and webinar platforms (e.g., Adobe Connect, WebEx, Skype for Business).