Consultant (BHCPF Program Implementation Unit (PIU)) at Palladium Group
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
We invite applications for the position below:
Job Title: Consultant to provide technical support to the National Primary Healthcare Development Agency (NPHCDA) BHCPF Program Implementation Unit (PIU) in developing a web-based platform for analyzing and reporting the results of the BHCPF PHC Quality Assessments
Subject RFP No: TO4/217727/Consultancy/Fixed Price Contract-2020- 0007
Project: Integrated Health Program, Kebbi State Activities
- Palladium invites applications from suitably qualified individual consultants to provide technical support to the National Primary Healthcare Development Agency (NPHCDA) BHCPF PIU in developing a web-based platform for analyzing and reporting the results of its quarterly PHC quality assessments
- In this Request for Proposal, Palladium expects offerors to develop a custom solution and proposal to Palladium for consideration. Bidders are required to provide justification for the work proposed or methodology to be adopted. This will be a Best Value procurement.
Type of Contract:
- This is a firm fixed price deliverable-based contract. The consultant is expected to satisfactorily accomplish the deliverables before he/she gets paid for that deliverable. The IHP Chief of Party reserves the right to confirm if a deliverable is delivered adequately or otherwise. No price change is expected after contract is signed. IHP will not pay for cost of any deliverable that is not complete, of quality and delivered on time.
Anticipated Contract Term
The anticipated performance period for the consultancy is April 26, 2021 to September 30,2021. As a firm fixed price consultancy based on deliverables, Palladium will only pay for deliverables that have met the standards and expectations of the program and which is also delivered within assigned timelines.
The Integrated Health Program (IHP) is a USAID-funded five-year project with a mandate to improve health systems, improve access to and increase quality of primary health care in designated states (Sokoto, Bauchi, Kebbi, Ebonyi and FCT). IHP is working with state governments to strengthen and advance operationalization of health finance reforms towards attainment of universal health coverage. IHP aims to improve the enabling environment for equitable and sustainable health services, supplies, and delivery systems through policy development and implementation, with an emphasis on voluntary, rights-based health programs). As part of this mandate, IHP is working at the national and state levels to strengthen the implementation of the Basic Health Care Provision Fund (BHCPF).
The Basic Health Care Provision Fund (BHCPF) was established under Section 11 of the National Health Act (NHAct), as a principal funding mechanism towards achieving Universal Health Coverage (UHC) in Nigeria. The fund is designed to provide additional funding to the health sector through three gateways: National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS); National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA); and Emergency Medical Treatment (EMT).
A key process for the BHCPF under the NPHCDA Gateway is tracking the quality improvement of facilities that will be receiving Decentralized Facility Funding (DFF) from the NPHCDA through the State Primary Healthcare Boards (SPHCBs). The quarterly quality assessments are done to evaluate the performance of the PHC facilities and to ensure the PHCs meet the goals of providing quality services to Nigerians.
The process involves the quarterly collection of data on PHC facilities using an ODK format/app on a smart phone. This is transmitted to the central server at the NPHCDA from where data can be processed for analysis. The NPHCDA in line with its mandate is supporting this process. To ensure timely analysis of the baseline data, the service of a firm/consultant competent in data management is being sought; to convert the revised quality assessment tool into ODK format and develop a mobile platform that will analyze submitted quality assessment data and produce facility scorecards in real time.
- Applications are expected to be submitted on or before the due date as appears on the cover page.
- Palladium will set up an evaluation committee who will meet to review all applications received within two weeks after the application period has closed. Top candidates may further be invited for an interview by the evaluation committee which will be conducted a week after the first evaluation. Depending on availability of the members of the evaluation committee and the exigences of the program, evaluation may be conducted at times which may be shorter or longer than stated here.
- Palladium will most likely issue the contract to the successful contractor from this process within 30 to 60 days after submission. Palladium’s ability to issue such contracts may be contingent upon USAID approval and when donor approval is required, timelines for contract award may be longer than stated. Palladium hopes that the services to be rendered on this consultancy will commence on April 26, 2021
Scope of Work and Standards
The USAID – Integrated Health Program (IHP) wishes to hire a firm/consultant to support the NPHCDA through the BHCPF PIU on a short-term basis to convert the revised quality assessment checklist into ODK format/app and develop a mobile platform that will analyze submitted quality assessment data and produce facility scorecards in real time.
Under the supervision of the NPHCDA (BHCPF PIU) and with reporting responsibility to USAID-IHP, the consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Support the finalization of the BHCPF/NPHCDA quality assessment checklist/tool in collaboration with the BHCPF PIU
- Convert the finalized quality assessment checklist into the Open Data kit (ODK) format/App.
- Develop a web-based/mobile platform to automate the process of analyzing data from quarterly quality assessment, to enable immediate feedback to PHCs post-assessment; and produce the following reports per state post analysis. o Facility scorecard:
- The state & LGA summary report
- Facility-by-facility details (across the service areas with facility pictures
- A National summary for all states
- Develop and configure an analytical dashboard of the trends in facility/LGA/state quality assessment results on DHIS2 (in collaboration with the Health Information System Programme (HISP), as necessary) to enable visibility and use of relevant data for decision making by all DHIS2 users.
- The successful firm/consultant would report to the Director, Planning Research and Statistics through the BHCPF Program Lead. All deliverables must be approved by the BHCPF Program Lead prior to submission and review by IHP for payment.
- The assignment is to be concluded within 5 months. (Will be done in 3 phases of tool finalization, app development and test running, and development of DHIS2 custom report)
Intellectual property right:
- The outcome of all analysis, platform or software or related enablers provided by the firm/consultant remains the Intellectual property right of the NPHCDA.
The firm/consultant shall demonstrate the following competencies and capacity:
- Proficiency and capacity in data management and analysis including the use of relevant software.
- Strong and demonstrable capabilities in application development
- Proficiency in the use of DHIS2 and development of custom reports/dashboards
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation and tools and templates development.
- Basic understanding of PHC structure as relevant to data analysis.
- Strong report writing skills.
- Ability to be able to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Ability to work across cross sectional teams and achieve results
Due Diligence Requirements:
- Palladium conducts a due diligence search as part of our partner vetting and selection process. Please see Attachment A for a sample of the due diligence form.
- Any individual or Company must complete Due Diligence Questionnaire if selected for Award within 5 days (See Attachment A for the Due Diligence Questionnaire)
- Restrictions for debarred or otherwise prohibited companies.
- As a USAID funded project, IHP does not partner with any debarred individuals or companies. Therefore, candidates and companies will be subjected to the approved systems of search which Palladium uses for vetting and certifying that potential contractors are not debarred.
- Availability of Specific Registrations or Licenses to perform the Service.
- For Companies Application, contractors are required to submit their certificates of incorporation and any other industry certificates which enables them to operate in Nigeria and in the industry of this SOW.
- The Company must have a DUNS number or obtain one within 5 days of being notified of selection (see Attachment C for instructions for obtaining DUNS number)
Evaluation and Award Process
This is a Best Value Procurement. Palladium uses “Best value” to select the most advantageous offer by evaluating and comparing factors in addition to cost or price. Decision is taken by the evaluation team by considering the cost and non-cost evaluation factors with the intent of awarding to the contractor that will give Palladium the greatest or best value for its money. The evaluation committee shall review the proposal received using the following weights:
Technical and Management Approach – 20:
- Quality and benefits of the solution.
- Quality of the performance metrics and measurement approach.
- Risks associated with the solution.
- Management approach and controls.
- Management team (Quality and experience of key personnel).
- Demonstrates strong understanding of the work required
- Demonstrates knowledge of the global and Nigeria best practices in Universal Health Coverage, operationalizing insurance schemes, risk pooling, enrolment and payment processes.
- Proposed activities are responsive to the RFP and are well thought out, organized and feasible.
- List of deliverables with due dates/timelines
Qualifications – 20:
- Educational background with evidence of degrees
- Professional qualifications (relevant to the consultancy) with certificates, licenses and other documentation
- Technical competencies relevant to this consultancy
Past performance – 10:
- Evidence of quality of past work (letters of reference/recommendations, performance reviews)
- Samples of work done (reports, publications)
- Other evidence of quality of work and timeliness of work
Past Experience – 20:
- Key relevant achievements and capabilities
- Previous work experience (long and short term) relevant to this assignment
- Number of years of demonstrated practical and progressive experience
- Past experience working or providing technical support and capacity building/mentoring to the government or non-governmental organizations
Price – 30:
- Financial proposal that includes cost per deliverable with total cost per deliverable broken down by: daily rate, travel, accommodation, per diem, material, communication (adherence to USAID cost principles – allowable, allocable and reasonable)
Total Possible – 100 points:
- Palladium reserves the right to award under this solicitation without further negotiations. The offerors are encouraged to offer their best terms and prices with the original submission.
Procurement Integrity And Ethics:
- It is Palladium’s Policy that no gifts of any kind and of any value be exchanged between vendors/contractors and Palladium personnel.
- Discovery of the same will be grounds for disqualification of the vendor/contractor from participation in any Palladium’s procurements and may result in disciplinary actions against Palladium personnel involved in such discovered transactions.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates / consultants are expected to submit both Technical and Financial bids and in two separate emails to: [email protected] stating as part of the subject matter of the email whether “Technical bid” or “Financial bid” and also quoting the RFP number as it appears on the cover page.
Instructions to the Offerors
The following items are required to be submitted as part of the proposal:
- Technical Proposal & Management Approach including:
- Personnel CV(s)
- Past Experience Information/Capability Statement
- Past Performance Information and Reference Information (Contact/Program Name etc)
- Past Performance or Trade References; performance reviews
- Financial Proposal detailing costs to be incurred with respect of the deliverables to be accomplished. Details of costs should be provided: daily rate/LOE, travel, accommodation, per diem, material, communication (adherence to USAID cost principles – allowable, allocable and reasonable and supported with evidence past rates). No lumpsum cost will be accepted.
- Selected candidates will be required to sign certifications: Terrorism, Anti-Kick Back, Debarment, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Please review the additional documentation and proposed contracts terms and conditions which should be given consideration when preparing your proposal. By submitting your bid, you will certify that you are in agreement with the contract terms and conditions as included in this solicitation and that all prices include all aspects of the required compliance with the terms and conditions of the proposed contract:
- Attachment A: Due diligence form(s)
- Attachment B: Sample Contract
- Attachment C: Guide for obtaining DUNs number
- Attachment D: Business Partner Code of Conduct
- Any contract/purchase order resulting from this solicitation must be signed by both parties in order to be considered valid and in force. All costs associated with, but not limited to, production, preparation and/or delivery of goods or services, including deliveries, accepted by Palladium staff, without a fully executed (signed by both parties) contract/purchase order, are at the vendor’s risk only. Palladium shall not pay for any costs, without limitation, associated with production, preparation or delivery of goods and/or services under this or any other contract/purchase order, which has not been signed by both parties.
- If your proposal is successful, you will be required to enter into the Company’s standard contract for the types of goods or services being provided. In the provision of the Goods and Services, you will be required to comply with the Company’s policies, including (without limitation) its Business Partner Code of Conduct and any relevant client terms and conditions. Potential suppliers must also comply with the Company’s Business Partner Code of Conduct in the submission of any proposals pursuant to this RFP.
- If you are bidding as part of a joint venture, partnership or similar, please make this clear in your submission. Likewise, if you propose to subcontract any part of the goods or services provision, then disclose this fact within your submission. The Company may require additional information from you and approval for subcontracting will not be automatic as subcontractors will be subject to Palladium’s Due Diligence process and may be required to submit for USAID Partner Vetting.
Important Information / Notice
- For more details concerning this consultancy and other associated application tools, please visit the link below: http://bit.ly/31avBVH
- Please follow the instructions as contained in the Request for Proposal (RFP) and submit your application.
- Applications received will have a validity period of six months.
- Thank you for your interest in the above procurement. As implementer for the Project, Palladium invites you to submit a proposal for the terms of reference above. Your proposal must be valid for the Validity Period.
- Please submit your proposal in accordance with the Details for Submission above by the Closing Date and Time. This RFP in no way obligates Palladium to award a contract nor does it commit Palladium to pay any cost incurred in the preparation and submission of a proposal. Palladium bears no responsibility for data errors resulting from transmission or conversion processes.
- We look forward to your response. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me by e-mail [email protected] Please reference the RFP number on the subject of the email.