Consultant Clinician / Head of Clinical Services at the Medical Research Council Unit – The Gambia
Signup and complete your profile on MyJobMag. Employers will find you 4x faster with a complete profile. You can download your completed profile anytime
At the beginning of the twentieth century, tuberculosis was one of the UK’s most urgent health problems. A royal commission, entitled The Royal Commission Appointed to Inquire into the Relations of Human and Animal Tuberculosis, was set up in 1901. It aimed to find out whether tuberculosis in animals and humans was the same disease and whether animals …
Read more about this company
Consultant Clinician / Head of Clinical Services
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Other
- Job Field Medical / Healthcare
Location: Keneba, Gambia
For more than 30 years, the Unit has run an outpatient and emergency medical service for local villages. This is a primary care outpatient clinic, with maternity services, a small observation unit for a maximum of two inpatients, and a supplement feeding centre for malnourished children. Patients requiring further hospital investigation or admission are transferred to the MRCG at LSHTM at the coast, to the Edward Francis Small Teaching Hospital, Banjul or Bwiam hospital.
- We are seeking to appoint a Consultant Clinician / Head of Clinical Services (Keneba) to be responsible for managing the clinical services in Keneba, directly supervising all the clinical staff, liaising with the Clinical services at Fajara and the Regional Health Teams.
- FWACP Part 2 or equivalent in Internal Medicine / Paediatrics / Family Medicine.
- Substantial clinical experience and skills.
- Experience of staff management.
- Record of publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Good IT skills-(Microsoft Word, Excel and Access).
- Commitment to working in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal / written communication skills.
- A flexible and well-organized approach to work and an ability to meet deadlines.
- The ability to deal sensitively with patients.
- Attentiveness to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Willingness to be on-call and work outside the normal working hours.
- Willingness to live in a remote rural location.
Salary and Benefits
- The salary will be paid in Grade 2, 36 Points of MRCG at LSHTM’s payscale at a net monthly salary of 113, 450 Dalasis. This converts to a take home pay of $2, 268 approximately per month using the prevailing DaIasi / USD exchange rate.
- Please note that the salary will be paid in Dalasi and the USD figure is only given as a guide.
- For displaced staff the package will include rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowance for spouse and children, contribution to school fees for children and shipment of personal effects.
- The appointment will be for 3 years initially and subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should please download the “Application Form”. Completed application form and documents should be e-mailed to: [email protected] with “Job title” as email subject.
Click Here for More Information (.docx)
- MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM is an Equal Opportunities Employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We cannot accept applications from individuals who are currently, or were in the last six months, employed by The Gambia Government.
Learn how to get a job in any industry you want. Read 72 Hours to The Job You Love