Consultant (MM- Assessment of Shelter Arrangements in Out-of-camp situation)
Working Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office (Maiduguri), and direct supervision of the Programme Manager (Shelter), the successful candidate will be responsible for designing, planning, carrying out and presenting the rental subsidy / shelter needs assessments in host community situations in various locations of North East Nigeria particularly in Borno States.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Design, plan and conduct needs assessments related to shelter response (including shelter conditions, status of households, housing typologies, tenure arrangements / type of agreement with owners, rental arrangements, etc) in various locations within the host communities at state level, LGA level and ward level (mainly Borno state).
Design, plan and conduct KII’s, FGD’s with host communities and IDPs living within the host community at state level, LGA level and ward level (mainly Borno state).
Train enumerators to ensure the best quality for data collection and production of a sufficient baseline.
Clean and merge the data on regular basis ensuring that all observations are uniquely identified and reported data is internally consistent.
Monitor the quality of the data collected and support the identification of gaps and possible response activities and indicators.
Analyze the data from assessments, interviews, discussions and evaluations, draft related dashboards and reports, present the findings.
Produce a final report that include all main sections: introduction, methodology, results and recommendation with narrative analysis of the results.
Ensures that the Program Manager is informed of all issues, developments, and changes related to needs assessment process.
Identify the gaps related to the shelter response in the host community situations and provide recommendations for strategic planning.
Coordinate with all relevant units within the organization, such as Livelihoods, CCCM and WASH.
Conduct visits to the field whenever it is necessary.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Measurable Output of the work assignment
Below is the suggested workplan for the assignment:
Timeframe / Deliverables
Desk study, developing the assessment methodology, and drafting survey, interview tools and questioners. (FGDs and individual interviews guidelines/questions as required)
Inception report from desk study.
Tools, questionnaires, guidelines designed for review.
Training enumerators on the methodology of collecting the data and conducting test for the drafted tools.
Consolidate and integrate comments and inputs received in relation to the interview tools, and the assessment methodology and finalize the documents.
Final tools, questioners, guidelines designed.
Collection of the quantitative and qualitative data,
Activity progress report.
Cleaning and analyzing the data collected, Transcription of interviews / FGD’s.
Folder including the electronic files and data.
Final report, dash boards and summary presentation of findings with recommendations.
Final report including executive summary, background, methodology, findings, conclusions and recommendations.
Summary presentation to relevant units of IOM Maiduguri
Summary report/presentation including different types of shelter situation in host community settlements with recommended response modalities and challenges for each.
By end of first month: Progress report including assessment methodology and finalized tool
By end of second month/ end of assignment: Final report including findings and recommendations, summary presentation to IOM Nigeria’s relevant units
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced University degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in Development Studies, Statistics, Research Methodologies, Engineering, Urban Planning or any other related technical fields from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Five years of professional experience in the above fields for candidates holding a first level university degree
· Experience in undertaking needs assessment for shelter response in complex emergencies in host community situations is essentials
· Proven experience in participatory processes and data collection methods (including age and gender, appropriate data collection methods)
· Excellent analytical, research, writing and communication skills
· Expertise and experience in the humanitarian and sector
· Experience in monitoring, evaluation and reporting
· Knowledge of social and development issues as well as general displacement related issues.
- Knowledge of HLP issues and Cash Programming**
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this consultancy, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic/ Pidgin / Hausa / Kanuri is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators**
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Women are encouraged to apply
How to apply:
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit applications via email to [email protected] indicating position applied on subject line by Wednesday 04th March 2020.
Candidates are required to share at least one sample report of similar evaluation conducted from previous consulting projects or online links to such works. All samples will be kept confidential.
For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2020/015 Consultant (MM- Assessment of Shelter Arrangements in Out-of-camp situation)**
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
From 20.02.2020 to 04.03.2020