Consultant – National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development at the World Health Organization (WHO)
We are the directing and coordinating authority on international health within the United Nations’ system.
We do this by:
providing leadership on matters critical to health and engaging in partnerships where joint action is needed;
shaping the research agenda and stimulating the generation, translation and dissemination of valuable knowledge;
Read more about this company
Consultant to Support the Development of a 5-year Strategic Plan for National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 10 years
- Location Other
- Job Field Medical / Healthcare  , NGO/Non-Profit
Ref No: 2001770
Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: Individual service contractor
Contract duration: 30 days
- The National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD) was established by the National Science and Technology Act CAP 276 of 1987 of the Federal Government of Nigeria as a Parastatal under the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology (FMST).
- The Institution became operational in 1989 following strong commitment and support by the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN) and the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology. In 2001 following a Federal Executive Council decision to move all Research and Development (R&D) agencies to their parent ministries, NIPRD was moved to the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH).
- In line with the NSHDP I and the National Drug Policy (NDP) of the Federal Ministry of Health, and in order to fulfill the R&D mission, NIPRD developed its first Strategic Plan (2011-2015). The strategic plan has therefore expired and the need to develop a new strategic plan based on the provisions of the National Strategic Health Development Plan II (NSHDP II (2018-2022) towards refocusing the health sector in meeting current health needs and challenges and to achieve its mandate. There are also recent global and regional declarations that raised new expectation and focus for pharmaceutical research.
- The purpose of this assignment is to develop a 5-year Strategic Plan for the National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development that aligns with global, regional and national strategies for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals and UHC.
Under the supervision of the HSS cluster Lead and the NPO/EDM in collaboration with the core group constituted by management of NIPRD, the main tasks of the consultancy are to:
- Lead conduct of the end-term review of the NIPRD Strategic plan 2011 to 2015
- Lead conduct of a pharmaceutical research and development situation analysis in Nigeria
- Support the development of the NIPRD Strategic plan 2020 – 2025
- Contribute to the costing of the NIPRD Strategic plan 2020-2025
- Contribute in the preparation and facilitation of the validation workshops
Qualifications/ Experience/ Skills
- University degree in Pharmacy, Public Health, Global Health, Business Administration or other relevant degrees.
- 5 years’ demonstrable experience in pharmaceutical services, development and research, review and strategic and operational planning
- Familiarity with current debates and approaches to Universal Health Coverage and essential drugs and medicines pharmaceutical research and development within the local, state, national and international arena
- Advanced university degree in Pharmacy, Public Health, Global Health, Business administration or other relevant degrees.
- At least 10 years’ demonstrable experience in pharmaceutical services, development and research, review and review and strategic and operational planning
Method of Application
Important Notice: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
Interested and qualified? Go to World Health Organization (WHO) on careers.who.int to apply