Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance.
It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries. We are is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Assistant
Loaction: Michika, Adamawa
Slot: 5 Openings
Contract type: National contract
- DRC is seeking the services of a committed and competent Protection Assistant to join the Adamawa Team. Interested persons will be reporting to the Team Leader. The job requires someone who can provide COVID 19 related health advice to communities
- DRC is seeking the services of a committed and competent Protection Assistant – COVID 19 Response to join the Adamawa Team. Interested persons will be reporting to the Team Leader.
- The Protection Assistant, under the supervision of the Protection team leader and the Protection Manager, is responsible for the day to day implementation of the various PSS activities in the field locations under his/her responsibility.
- This includes, in relation to Covid-19, conduct Protection Monitoring, referrals and follow up of referrals, (including establishing referral pathways for those affected by Covid-19), identification of IPA beneficiaries and follow up of cases, psychosocial support activities, monitor the protection incentive workers’ work and manage them on a daily basis.
- DRC is seeking the services of a committed and competent Infection, Prevention and Control (IPC) Officer to join the Adamawa Team. Interested persons will be reporting to the Team Leader. The job requires someone who can provide COVID 19 related health advice to communities
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Individual & Group Counselling:
- Conduct individual assessments for possible psychosocial distress and the identification of a therapeutic intervention plan for people directly identified or referred by the community structures or protection team in relation to Covid-19.
- Conduct individual or group counselling as part of a therapeutic intervention plan for and with people identified or referred
- Carry out a PSS intervention plan for each individual client after receiving their consent for the same. Consider emotional, behavioural and social factors that affect their psychosocial well-being.
- Provide continuous psycho-social support via regular follow-up meetings, establishing a relationship built on trust and respecting confidentiality protocols.
- Close cases when the objectives in the PSS intervention plan have been met and no further needs have been identified.
- Provide group counselling as part of a therapeutic intervention plan for with people identified and referred by the case management team or social workers following the opening of a CM case file.
- Document cases and ensure that any progress on the individual therapeutic intervention plan and any significant change in the client’s psychosocial well-being and overall situation is duly recorded in a timely fashion.
- Participate in individual supervision sessions on a weekly basis with the PSS Team lead, bringing immediate attention to any case of special/emergency needs.
- Participate in internal case conferences (when relevant), team meetings, training and workshops as scheduled by the supervisory and management team.
- Document all general PSS activities as per DRC and donor reporting regulations and transmit these on a weekly basis to the PSS Team Lead for compilation.
- Support the planning, implementation and reporting on all PSS activities via weekly work plans, schedules and people management.
- Support positive team dynamics and a healthy work environment where our beneficiaries affected by Covid-19 feel comfortable and supported in sharing their experiences, challenges and feelings.
- Identify gaps in Covid-19 information and PSS training needs and request support from the PSS-Team Lead or Protection Specialist to provide the same.
- Compile all reporting on Covid-19 PSS activities as per DRC and donor reporting regulations and transmit these on a weekly basis to the PSS Team lead for further handling. Engage in regular feedback and dialogue with the PSS Team lead on quantitative reporting.
Data Protection, Confidentiality & Adherence To Protection Principles:
- Ensure the proper and safe filing and archiving of PSS client files and activity reports files to maintain data confidentiality as per DRC and international standards.
- Carry out all tasks respecting key Protection and PSS principles, including but not limited to.
- Do no harm.
- Accountability, and.
- Need-to-know principles
Other Pss Activities:
- Contribute to regular Covid-19 service mapping, updates to the service directory and support the development of referral systems with different service providers and the local NGO/CSO partners in a deep field.
- Flag PSS issues and contribute to the identification of appropriate responses.
- Carry out any delegated activities as assigned by DRC management at the field level including supervision of field bases.
- Manage DRC protection assets assigned to the field of operation.
- Always liaise with security officers in DRC to keep up to date on the security situation of the field base.
- Support protection coordinator, the manager with itinerary planning for field visits including donor visits.
- Provide detailed updates of activities within your designated field site while keeping yourself well informed of Covid-19 new and emerging issues.
- 2 years’ work experience in a humanitarian organization / with displacement affected populations or significant experience as a DRC Protection social or outreach worker or previous experience in PSS.
- Knowledge of protection and PSS norms, principles, and activities
- Excellent communication skills (oral and writing)
- Professional fluency in English and Hausa
- Ability and willingness to maintain regular presence at project sites (remote / field sites) and to work during irregular working hours and in insecure environments
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills – self-motivated individuals, able to take initiative and propose solutions, resilient, positive, and able to work independently.
- Must have basic level computer skills.
- Diploma or degree in community development, psychology, sociology, and other relevant social sciences qualifications.
- Knowledge of the protection and PSS activities
- Knowledge of North-East Nigeria States languages including Kanuri added advantage.
- Availability: ASAP
Salary and Conditions:
- In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “the Recruitment Manager”
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- The position is for Nigerian Nationals Only.
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for a written test and oral interview.
- Please note that applications will be reviewed continuously and interviews will be planned as soon as a suitable candidate is identified – so early submission of applications is encouraged. DRC has the right to close the vacancy once a suitable candidate is identified.
- NB: DRC-DDG Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator.
Application Deadline: 20th May, 2020.