Deputy Chief of Party/Head of Programs
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories. We are looking for a Deputy Chief of Party/Head of Programs in Nigeria.
The objective of the SCALE Activity is to support CSOs and BMOs across all of USAID/Nigeria’s programmatic sectors with a basket of managerial, business strengthening, and advocacy capacity-building interventions aimed at advancing Nigerian CSO sustainability combined with targeted grants to advance mutually agreed upon priorities. The activity is designed to enhance local civil society organizations’ ability to be positive and responsible change agents in Nigeria
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will serve as the Head of programs, acts as second in command to the Chief of Party (COP) and serves as the principal point of contact on the SCALE project for procedural and substantive matters in the absence of the COP.
The DCOP will:
- Be responsible for the day-to-day technical activities and implementation of the activity.
- Coordinates project plans, budgets, training and resources with management to achieve strategic goals
- Set up and adjust as needed all field-based administrative, financial, procurement, HR and other operational systems and processes, and organize appropriate training and orientation on policies and systems for all field staff at the time of hire and on-going through the life of project.
- Oversee all administrative and logistical staff in the main and field offices.
- Cooperate closely with the (COP) on all administrative matters.
- Work closely with regional and/or headquarters administrative (including financial, contracts, HR, etc.), program, and operational teams to ensure timely and quality reporting, and lead the field team in office/program set-up and close-out processes.
- Assure that the project is in compliance with USAID and FHI 360 regulations and procedures.
- Provide direction and guidance to local staff and subcontractor staff on compliance issues, procurement standards/requirements, and other administrative, financial, HR and logistical questions.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of the project operational procedures, adapting global and regional technical resources and tools as needed for the Nigerian context.
- Develop and facilitate supportive partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Participate in strategic planning.
- Bachelors degree in relevant fields such as social sciences, law, development studies, etc.
- Minimum of 5-8 years of progressively responsible experience in the successful implementation of international development activities managing sectors and/or subsectors of civil society/advocacy/research/gender sensitive interventions;
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills and experienced in managing teams;
- Experience relevant to accomplishment of the cross-cutting objectives including gender, youth and marginalized populations.
- Articulate, professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO).
- Demonstrated track record of working in teams and fostering partnerships.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with host country government personnel, stakeholders, NGO partners, and international donor agencies.
- Experience with a USG cooperative agreement preferred.
- Ability to work independently and manage a high-volume workflow.
- Relevant computer software skills, including at a minimum, MS Word and Excel.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
How to apply:
Use the following link to submit an application directly to FHI 360 for this position: https://fhi.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/FHI_360_External_Career_Portal/job/Abuja-Nigeria/Deputy-Chief-of-Party-Head-of-Programs_Requisition-2020200662