Deputy High Commission of Canada to Nigeria Recruitment for Migration Program Assistant, LE-A2
The Deputy High Commission of Canada to Nigeria invites applications from qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Migration Program Assistant, LE-A2
Job Ref: 4436
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Vacancy type: Indeterminate
Term Details: This is a Locally Engaged Staff position (LES), subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Nigeria.
Classification: LE-05 / LE-A2
Summary of Position
- Under general supervision of the Migration Program Manager or an Officer, supports the delivery of Immigration Refugees, and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) Programs through screening documentation for completeness and accuracy, using procedural expertise, assisting an Officer in reporting and liaison, program integrity, stewardship and governance, promotion and recruitment activities and other support to clients.
- Requires a developed knowledge of established guidelines and procedures and an ability to be systematic in their work.
- Exercises initiative in organizing work, tracking resources, and resolving difficult problems, demonstrates attention to detail, discretion, and the highest level of integrity.
- Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- Minimum of one (1) year recent* experience working in an office environment in an administrative support or program assistant capacity for a corporate entity, foreign mission, government office, or international organization
- Minimum of one (1) years recent* experience providing effective client service (internal or external) in person, by telephone, and electronic messaging
- Minimum of two (2) years recent* experience working on a PC, using various computer programs and applications, such as Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and internet browsers.
- *Recent as defined within the last five (5) years.
- The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests and/or presentations.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- General knowledge of evidence-based research methods and social media presence
- Understanding of the impact of political, economic, and social factors on migration-related matters.
Abilities / Competencies:
- Effective interactive communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to draft professional correspondence
- Ability to analyze information and provide appropriate responses or suggestions
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Ability to manage and prioritize tasks
- Attention to detail
- Client service
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Commitment to values and ethics, integrity, reliability, and discretion.
- Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications in their cover letter and CV.
- Experience working on migration-related matters
- Experience in using Global Case Management System (GCMS)
- Experience working at an Embassy, High Commission, or international organization
- A working knowledge of French (oral and written)
- The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar openings at the High Commission of Canada in Nigeria which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this recruitment process.
- Normal working hours are 37.5 per week Mondays to Thursdays (08:00 to 16:30) and Fridays (08:00 – 13:30)
- Work in high pressure environment with multiple priorities
- Some overtime required (on week days and/or during weekends if job demands)
- Some occasional travel may be necessary
Condition(s) of Employment:
- Nigerian citizen or legally able to work at the High Commission of Canada in Nigeria. (Please note the High Commission does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly).
- Before an offer of employment can be made, candidates must provide a local address as proof of residence in the specific city or region so that if selected, it will appear on the offer letter.
- Obtain and maintain a Reliability Status (security clearance) from the Government of Canada covering the entire employment period. This includes a criminal and credit background check.
Area of Selection
- Open to internal and external applicants who are legal residents or citizens of Nigeria, who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date. Please note that the High Commission of Canada in Nigeria does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly.
- The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered based on merit. Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture.
- Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
NGN 6,802,957 (Nigerian Naira) annually plus benefits
Application Closing Date
11th April, 2021 at 23:59 UTC+1 / GMT+1
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Candidates are required to upload a cover letter and CV in English or French. Applications which do not include the requested documents or information in the CV or cover letter will be rejected. Any additional information must be included as part of these two attachments.
- Please do NOT include personal data in these documents (cover letter and CV) such as; age, date of birth, gender, marital status, family status, religion, a picture. Please only include information relevant to the vacancy as requested in the job poster.
- Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to: [email protected] prior to the closing date. Failure to so will result in the application being rejected.
Eligibility Instructions (to be included in cover letter)
- Assessment questions have been included for candidates to complete and include in their cover letters along with the application. In order to be considered for the position, please note that candidates must answer all questions (#1 and #2). Please include the information in paragraph form. Responses must be your original work, and cannot use text from the internet or other sources. Applications using copied text will be disqualified.
- You will be assessed on your spelling, grammar and effective communication on the application and further along in the process if you’re screened in. Applications not including responses to these questions will be screened out.
- ** Applications that do not include the Candidate Assessment Questions will not be considered.
Question #1 (750 words maximum)
- What skills and experience do you have performing work tasks in a systematic way in an office environment? Provide at least one example.
Question #2 (750 words maximum)
- Describe a situation where you demonstrated attention to detail and/or exceptional client service in a previous job.
- Please do not use a tablet or cell phone to submit your application, as mobile browsers are not supported by our on-line portal. Candidates should only apply using a laptop or desktop computer.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French).
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates who apply to this vacancy should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
- Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
- The High Commission of Canada in Nigeria does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- Candidates requiring any special assistance in attending exams or interviews are requested to inform us.
- The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar term, indeterminate, part-time or full-time openings at the High Commission of Canada in Nigeria which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this recruitment process.