Deputy High Commission of Canada to Nigeria Recruitment for Senior Program Assistant, LE-A3
The Deputy High Commission of Canada to Nigeria invites applications from qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Senior Program Assistant, LE-A3
Job Ref: 4437
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Vacancy type: Indeterminate
Term Details: This is a Locally Engaged Staff position (LES), subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Nigeria.
Classification: LE-06 / LE-A3
Summary of Position
- Reporting directly to the Migration Program Manager (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada, provides assistance and guidance to the MPM and other Program Assistants and Officers on administrative processes/requirements and on complex, high-profile and sensitive matters.
- Leads on research, liaison and reporting, stewardship and governance, promotion and recruitment activities and other support to clients.
- The incumbent would be extremely organized, would exercise initiative in organizing work and resolving complicated problems, would have a significant command of the English language both written and oral, and significant knowledge of country conditions of Nigeria, including but not limited to political, economic, and social aspects, and how they impact migration.
- The incumbent would be required to execute diplomacy, discretion, and the highest level of integrity in all aspects of work and personal life, adhering to Canada’s Privacy Law and Values and Ethics.
- Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- Minimum of one (1) year recent* experience in migration-related matters, including but not limited to irregular and regular migration, fraud, visa and consular work
- Minimum of one (1) year recent* experience conducting research and reporting in a professional capacity
- Minimum of two (2) years recent* experience working in an office environment in an administrative support or program assistant capacity managing such tasks as budgets, travel, meetings, etc.
- Minimum of one (1) year recent* experience liaising with Nigerian government agencies, international organizations, foreign missions, or otherwise.
- Minimum of two (2) years recent* experience working on a PC, using various computer programs and applications, such as Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and internet browsers.
- *Recent as defined within the last five (5) years.
- The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests and / or presentations.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of evidence-based research methods and social media
- Sound knowledge of the local environment and the impact of political, economic, and social factors on migration-related matters
Abilities / Competencies:
- Effective interactive communication (oral and written)
- Ability to analyze and present information and recommendations in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to liaise and consult with Nigerian agencies, foreign missions, internal and external clients and stakeholders
- Ability to comprehend legislation, regulations, policies and operational manuals within a defined area
- Ability to work independently, setting own priorities and following up on projects for which you are the lead
- Ability to manage and prioritize tasks
- Focus on quality and attention to details
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Commitment to values and ethics, integrity, reliability, and discretion.
- Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications in their cover letter and CV.
- A working knowledge of French (oral and written)
- Experience developing a network of professional contacts
- Experience working at an Embassy, High Commission, or international organization
- The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar openings at the High Commission of Canada in Nigeria which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this recruitment process.
- Normal working hours are 37.5 per week Mondays to Thursdays (08:00 to 16:30) and Fridays (08:00 – 13:30)
- Work in high pressure environment with multiple priorities
- Some overtime required (on week days and/or during weekends if job demands)
- Some occasional travel may be necessary
Condition(s) of Employment:
- Nigerian citizen or legally able to work at the High Commission of Canada in Nigeria. (Please note The High Commission does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly).
- Before an offer of employment can be made, candidates must provide a local address as proof of residence in the specific city or region so that if selected, it will appear on the offer letter.
- Obtain and maintain a Reliability Status (security clearance) from the Government of Canada covering the entire employment period. This includes a criminal and credit background check.
Area of Selection
- Open to internal and external applicants who are legal residents or citizens of Nigeria, who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date. Please note that the High Commission of Canada in Nigeria does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly.
- The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered based on merit. Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture.
- Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
NGN 8,284,970 (Nigerian Naira) annually plus benefits
Application Closing Date
11th April, 2021 at 23:59 UTC+1 / GMT+1
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Candidates are required to upload a cover letter and CV in English or French. Applications which do not include the requested documents or information in the CV or cover letter will be rejected. Any additional information must be included as part of these two attachments.
- Please do NOT include personal data in these documents (cover letter and CV) such as; age, date of birth, gender, marital status, family status, religion, a picture. Please only include information relevant to the vacancy as requested in the job poster.
- Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to: [email protected] prior to the closing date. Failure to so will result in the application being rejected.
Eligibility Instructions (to be included in cover letter)
- Assessment questions have been included for candidates to complete and include in their cover letters along with the application. In order to be considered for the position, please note that candidates must answer all questions (#1 and #2). Please include the information in paragraph form. Responses must be your original work, and cannot use text from the internet or other sources. Applications using copied text will be disqualified.
- You will be assessed on your spelling, grammar and effective communication on the application and further along in the process if you’re screened in. Applications not including responses to these questions will be screened out.
- ** Applications that do not include the Candidate Assessment Questions will not be considered.
Question #1 (750 words maximum)
- What skills and experience do you have in liaison work with Nigerian agencies, foreign missions, internal and external clients and stakeholders?
Question #2 (750 words maximum)
- Describe a situation where you executed diplomacy, discretion, and the highest level of integrity.
- Please do not use a tablet or cell phone to submit your application, as mobile browsers are not supported by our on-line portal. Candidates should only apply using a laptop or desktop computer.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French).
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates who apply to this vacancy should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
- Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
- The High Commission of Canada in Nigeria does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- Candidates requiring any special assistance in attending exams or interviews are requested to inform us.
- The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar term, indeterminate, part-time or full-time openings at the High Commission of Canada in Nigeria which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this recruitment process.