Director, Operations Research, Learning, Knowledge Management & Strategic Communication
This position requires substantial knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methods, operations research, advanced analyses of research data, scientific writing and documentation, training and capacity building in research methods as well as designing conducting operations research and surveys as vehicles for strategic information dissemination to strengthen policy formulation and program development. S/he will work closely with the Director, Strategic Information, Heads of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), Health Informatics and Surveillance/Epidemiology units to improve data utility to inform planning, and organization-wide learning, and to design, harness, synthesize and communicate key performance and outcome level results and lessons to different partners and stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
Establish, lead and manage the Operations Research, Learning, Knowledge Management & Strategic Communication Unit.
Continuously work with project leads to develop and implement data collection, analysis and write up of results focused on the process, outcomes and impact of all projects undertaken by UMB, Nigeria.
Lead strategic coordination, review and analysis of key program deliverables including quarterly and annual reports for submission to funders; ensuring timeliness, completeness and content quality. Ensure that the projects effectively and consistently report on progress towards project outcomes.
Analyze and synthesize research findings in ways that ensure that research is collated and directed in appropriate pathways and channels.
Identify the best KM practices and leverage existing technology and skill set to create new systems and project intelligence forums
Maintain excellence by ensuring the quality, ethics and policy relevance of research
Actively contribute to developing MGIC’s overall learning and adaptive management systems, facilitating reflection sessions to explore and refine the project theory of change
Ensure the currency, completeness and adequate storage of UMB’s research data and documents
Ensure the communication of research findings through publications in peer reviewed journals and books and oral presentations at scientific conferences and professional meetings
Manage all research and project activities in compliance with UMB’s policies and procedures.
Represent UMB at research and public health communities, in media, academic and professional fora locally, nationally and internationally.
Engage in other tasks as requested by the Country Director.
- Perform other tasks assigned by the Country Director.
- Professional Accounting Qualification qualifications such as CPA, ACCA, CIMA with master’s degree in business administration, finance, health administration or public administration, or the equivalent.
- Formal training and certification in the rules and regulations of managing U.S. Government funding.
- Required level of proficiency in English (speaking, reading, and writing).
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Doctoral degree in epidemiology, demography, social statistics or related field, with relevant training or expertise in HIV/SRH fields and at least five years professional experience and at least two years of relevant experience in successfully initiating, managing and implementing operations research projects.
- Demonstrated ability to design and conduct operations research, public health and social science research including experience with a variety of research methodologies, research capacity building and informed policy advocacy
- Experience working with networks of SRH/HIV researchers, policymakers and program managers as well as consultants and NGOs/CBOs geared to common research and policy agendas
- Demonstrated ability to stimulate fund raising and secure funds for program and research activities as needed
- Strong working knowledge of the HIV/AIDS and SRH fields in Nigeria with proven past positions.
- Fairly high profile in the health and SRH/HIV fields with a strong scientific publication records.
- Capacity to understand and manage collaborations with research investigators, governmental, donor and civil society partners, service providers and consultants from a variety of fields and cultures.
- Excellent diplomatic, representational, problem-solving, management and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building.
- Excellent written and oral English language communication skills.
- Willingness to travel within country and internationally on a regular basis.