Driver – G2 at United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver – G2
Job ID: 30879
Locations: Abuja and Maiduguri – Borno
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – Transport
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Slots: 3 Openings
OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors to:
- Alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies
- Advocate for the rights of people in need
- Promote preparedness and prevention
- Facilitate sustainable solutions.
In December 1991, the General Assembly adopted Resolution 46/182 designed to strengthen the United Nations response to both complex emergencies and natural disasters. In addition, it aimed at improving the overall effectiveness of the UN’s humanitarian operations in the field. Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Admin & Logistics Associate, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services ensuring high accuracy of work.
The Driver demonstrates a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. The Driver provides driving services to the UNOCHA staff in the South Sudan, Consultants and Experts and UN staff on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/ supplies
- Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensure that the assigned vehicle is wash and clean.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Ensure insurance cover of assigned vehicle is valid.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe and timely execution of the OCHA transport services.
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Ability to operate and maintain variety of computerized business machines and office equipment to provide efficient delivery of service
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data, demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative.
- Managing Documents, Correspondences and Reports
- Creates edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software.
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard.
- Transmits file data: creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and or /identifies patterns which support the work of others.
Planning, Organizing and Multi-tasking:
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education. Valid Driver’s license.
- 2 years work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Fluency in English is required, good knowledge of local Nigerian language is desirable.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 11th June, 2020.