Driver – G3 at United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver – G3
Job ID: 30877
Location: Abuja, Maiduguri – Borno, Damaturu – Yobe, and Yola – Adamawa
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – Logistics
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Slots: 10 Openings
OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to:
- Alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies
- Advocate for the rights of people in need
- Promote preparedness and prevention
- Facilitate sustainable solutions.
- In December 1991, the General Assembly adopted Resolution 46/182 designed to strengthen the United Nation’s response to both complex emergencies and natural disasters. In addition, it aimed at improving the overall effectiveness of the UN’s humanitarian operations in the field.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Administrative & Finance Analyst in Abuja & Maiduguri and direct supervisor, the Admin and Logistics Associate, the Drivers will provide reliable and safe driving services ensuring high accuracy of work. The Drivers will demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
The Drivers will provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the Country Office (CO), Consultants and Experts and UN staff on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/ supplies
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, and map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe and timely execution of the CO services.
- Demonstrates commitment to OCHA’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues.
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of views
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education. Valid Driver’s license.
- 3 years work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Fluency in English, knowledge of Local language of the duty station is desired.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 11th June, 2020.