ONE is an international campaigning and advocacy organization of more than 7 million people taking action to end extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa.
Job ref.: ECONO01737
Location: Abuja, NGA
Job type: Full-Time
Travel: Travel up to 10%.
About The Opportunity
- The Economist will lead the organisation’s analysis of macro- and micro-economic trends and provide policy guidance to inform policy and advocacy positions aimed at addressing poverty and inequality, with a focus on African countries.
- The ideal candidate will bring significant experience in quantitative analysis of budgets and finance data, and knowledge of development policy in Africa.
- The successful candidate is a self-starter, solution focused, a joy to work with, has big ideas for a better world and is motivated by an ambitious mission, and takes smart risks and learns from their mistakes.
- This is a full time, exempt opportunity on the Global Policy team, reporting directly to the Senior Policy Director, and can be based in any of our ONE offices around the world.
In this role, you will:
- Provide world-class policy guidance, research and analysis of macro- and micro-economic trends in support of ONE’s global lobbying, advocacy, media and campaigning work.
- Conduct quantitative analysis of data related to development finance and development policy, particularly domestic resource mobilization and debt.
- Conduct analysis and develop policy advice on the implications of climate change on ONE’s policy agenda.
- Succinctly summarize key trends and results from analysis for broad consumption, and recommend smart solutions and best practices that solve complex problems.
- Prepare written documents on policy issues related to organisational priorities, including briefings, report chapters, policy analyses, blog posts, op eds, talking points, and other products for some of the most influential people in the world.
- Drive progress for ONE at meetings, seminars and workshops, and develop partnerships to advance ONE’s impact and mission.
- Develop new cutting-edge thinking on emerging global policy areas, and support broader team work on global health, development finance, gender, climate, education, agriculture and inclusive growth, and transparency as needed.
- Build and manage coalitions to drive change on ONE’s issues.
- Exercise independent judgement and potentially train or mentor less-experienced staff.
- Under minimal supervision, plan, conduct and supervise assignments.
- Additional duties as determined.
What We Need From You
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Economics, or a related field.
- Three or more years of policy and research experience desirable but not essential.
- Specialised expertise and/or breadth of expertise in at least one of the following: international development finance, domestic resource mobilization, global health, education, climate, tax, or gender.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel, and Google Suite.
- Working knowledge of SPSS, R, Stata, or Tableau essential.
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines while performing in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Related work history in poverty and infectious disease alleviation, advocacy, policy, legislation and/or demonstrable interest in the causes ONE supports.
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated.
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills.
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations.
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills.
- Well organized, detail oriented and analytical.
- Action oriented and results focused.
- Flexible and resourceful approach.
- Independent problem solver.
- Fluency in English and another language such as French is required.
Method of Application
Important Information / Notice
- ONE is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please visit the Contact Us page on the web; www.one.org/us/about/contact/). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
- ONE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
- Due to the high volume of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested and qualified? Go to ONE Global Campaign on recruiting.ultipro.com to apply