Farm Project Manager at Provider City Foundation
Provider City Foundation (PCF) is a Christ-centred non-governmental organization with a mission to meet the needs of the less fortunate in the society. We aim to effectively tackle the triple challenges in Africa today: Agriculture/Food Security, Demographic and Environmental Health. This project is aimed at eradicating poverty and unleashing sustainable broad based and inclusive development in Gbongan, Osun State. It is designed as a catalyst and take off program for a broader, multi-partnership program to support the activities in promoting access of youths, men and women, to appropriate agribusiness entrepreneurial, leadership and management skills required for their effective participation in the creation of wealth and investments in commercially viable agribusiness enterprises in the community and surrounding local government of the State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Farm Project Manager
Location: Gbogan, Osun
Employment Type: Full Time
Overall Purpose of Job
- To ensure the effective planning, organizing and day to day operation of all farm enterprises, including the leadership and management of the Farm staff team and the effective management of Farm budgets and finance. To ensure sound commercial practice consistent with good husbandry and economic viability.
- It is envisaged that the successful candidate will be resident in Osun state, preferably in Gbogan.
- The following list of duties and responsibilities is not meant to be exclusive. It should be taken as an indicator of the type and level of activity expected of this post. The list does not represent either prioritiesor frequency of tasks and should be regularly updated by the post holder in consultation with and agreement of their line manager.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- To formulate annual farm policy and prepare a business plan for approval by the Principal, including detailed cropping and stocking policy.
- To develop and implement an overall farm policy and practice, in accordance with best practices
- To make available to students the staff, resources and opportunities required for their learning and assessment.
- Prepare annual budgets and cash flow projections.
- To ensure physical and financial performance and ensure response to variance.
- Ensure implementation of all Health and Safety policy and Codes of Practice on the farm, including communication with staff to ensure staff demonstrate best practice.
- Line manage all farm staff and ensure efficient and effective daily operation of the farm.
- Plan and implement all staff work rota and holiday entitlement, ensuring adequate cover over 365 days annually.
- Demonstrate sound practical skills and knowledge to ensure the practice of high standards of the arable enterprise and animal husbandry.
- To develop academic partnership with a varsity and liaise with academic staff as appropriate in the provision of an effective teaching programme relating to the farm and in the use of farm enterprises for practical experience.
- Ensure compliance with all legal obligations.
- Ensure the upkeep and tidiness of all areas.
- Ensure the maintenance of all appropriate records and data.
- Develop and ensure the implementation of effective machinery policy.
- To oversee farm activity in relation to sheep and beef production, including where appropriate the work of contractors.
- To oversee farm activity in relation to the arable enterprise.
- To act as an ambassador for Provider City Foundation Farm amongst the farming industry and promoting the Farm as a centre of excellence and venue for research activity.
- Attend staff meetings, team briefs and training events.
Qualifications / Training
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture or related subjects
- Master’s Degree in agricultural related courses
- At least 3 years work experience
- Health & Safety (HSE1).
- At least three years’ General Farm Management
- Experience of developing and implementing farm strategy and business proposals
- Staff Management
- Business and Financial Management
- Management of Livestock and Arable enterprises
- Precision agriculture systems
Skills / Special Knowledge:
- Farming industry developments
- Livestock husbandry and/or Crop Production
- Health & Safety within the agriculture industry
- Pig Husbandry
- Sheep Husbandry
- Arable & Crops
- Able to form and maintain appropriate relationships and personal boundaries with young people
- Practical farming skills (arable/livestock)
- Planning, organizing and decision making skills
- Effective and influential communicator to a range of audiences including ability to give trainings
- Effective team working and influencing skills
- Able to work with local communities and the wider farming industry
- Effective delegation skills
- Numeracy and budgeting skills
- IT literate.
- Ability to work with people of all levels
- Helpful and enthusiastic
- Motivation to work with children and young people.
- Emotional resilience in working with challenging behaviors and appropriate attitudes to use of authority and maintaining discipline.
Demonstrated behaviors needed by the post holder to successfully perform the role:
- Communicatesclearlyand effectively.
- Ability to facilitate participative processes.
- Independence, objectivity and integrity.
- Organized, methodic and meticulous.
- Develops, motivates and coaches direct reports.
- Promotes innovation and learning.
- Gain develop and retain credibility about his/her Performance.
Skills Specific to the post needed to put knowledge into practice:
- Good management skills
- Good team player
- Good negotiating, facilitating and influencing skills
- Proficient in Microsoft applications especially excel and pivot tables.
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Good accounting, analytical and judgement skills
- Good supervisory and coordination skills
- Ability to deliver to tight deadlines
- English, Yoruba and other Nigerian languages are important assets
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Internally: Working closely with the Executive Director, collaborating with other functions-business development, HR, program, communications & Marketing to ensure that Finance processes are integrated and aligned.
- Externally: Effective communications with government revenue office, JJCF’s partners and other stakeholders as deemed necessary.
- While the above is a description of the essential functions of the position,other duties may beassigned. This job description is subject to change at the discretion of management.
- The position will be based in Osun StateNigeria.
Application Closing Date
15th January, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Candidates should send no more than4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document
- All applications must include the position title, location in the subject line.
- Applicants are advised to provide their functional emails / mobile phone numbers on the application letteras well as three professional referees including their functional e-mail addresses and telephone numbers.
- Eligible female applicants are encouragedto apply.
- PCF has a HR policy in place and is an equal opportunity employer (EOE)
- Please note that only short-listed candidates willbe contactedfor interviews