FHI 360 Vacancy for a Database Manager
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Database Manager
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- The Database Manager will oversee the administration and management of FHI’s management information system for routine data. This involves overseeing adherence to the reporting cycle, developing and implementing data security and confidentiality policies, designing and developing database applications, developing and assisting in the analysis of data, providing technical documentation of data and quality assurance of data inputs and outputs, assisting with the presentation of data findings for projects, and providing technical support in the use of these data in research projects.
- S/he will also be responsible for the planning, development, maintenance and evaluation of FHI Nigeria’s Geographical Information System (GIS) to include the management of spatial databases. Other responsibilities include the design and creation of other products e.g. maps, digital data, reports and statistics.
- S/he prepares and maintains metadata documentation of GIS databases.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Play a leadership role in ensuring timely and accurate data management and reporting.
- Coordinate data management issues (e.g., deletion of records, query management, Internet reports) within the data users group.
- Develop and ensure adherence to policies to ensure the security and confidentiality of FHI’s identifiable health data. Monitor staff compliance with confidentiality policies to assure that security standards are met.
- Design and develop database applications in response to FHI’s information needs, using MS Excel, Access, VB and SQL. Install developed applications, write application manuals, and train users.
- Assure the quality of data feeds and processing of downloads from zonal offices and into donor reports.
- Develop standardized programming, data quality checks, and data documentation procedures relevant to the HIV and AIDS data systems.
- Write standard metadata for GIS data resources.
- Develop web based and mobile GIS applications, customize desktop GIS software to facilitate end user training and ease of use; train users and provide support for desktop applications.
- Produce regular high quality analysis products for the monitoring and evaluation areas assigned.
- Administer and maintain FHI’s databases for routine data, data quality and service quality assessments.
- Monitor and optimize database design, content, structure and other management issues.
- Perform backup and recovery of all databases. Manage database users. Takes appropriate measures to ensure the security of the data.
- Provide technical assistance to FHI sites using the databases.
- Recommend hardware and software upgrades to the database server as needed.
- Work on special GIS projects as assigned; develop custom data, statistics, reports, presentations and other products in a team environment.
- Ensure that GIS is being used as an effective tool for decision making
- Responsible for archiving research-related data and programs.
- Determine and refine FHI Nigeria’s GIS requirements.
- Design systems to automate and create special maps from GIS and health datasets.
- Create and maintain structures necessary for GIS data storage.
- Design tools necessary for loading / transferring GIS data from one system to another.
- Use tools to combine GIS datasets and create new information, investigate patterns and analyze spatial data.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- BS/BA degree in Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science or its recognized equivalent with 7 – 9 years post national youth service relevant experience.
- Or MS/MA Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science or its recognized equivalent, and 5 – 7 years post national youth service relevant experience.
- Strong background in geospatial and health information systems (GIS) and/or database management is required.
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is an advantage.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to work with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, and recipients of assistance.
- MS SQL Server Administration, District Health Information System (DHIS) Windows NT and Office Administration and Management, Relational database design and analysis, SQL and MS Access/Excel programming skills.
- Good knowledge of programming principles and languages.
- Demonstrated ability to independently complete assigned tasks, train and facilitate learning and professional development among colleagues.
- Knowledge of geographic information system concepts and management.
- Ability to perform spatial analysis of moderate difficulty and present results in a clear and comprehensible way, either orally or as written reports.
- Ability to perform rectification, transformation and classification processes on raster data. The use of raster based application such as ERDAS and ILWIS is an added advantage.
- Perform detail-oriented work with a high level of accuracy.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills with ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to plan and prioritize own work under tight deadlines, as well as to work on own initiative and as a member of a team.
- Ability to travel a minimum of 25%.
- Familiarity with client/server or multi-platform application development.
- Solid understanding of basic assumptions of clinical and public health industry practices for data acquisition and quality assurance.
- Knowledge and experience in project-level or state/national-level monitoring and evaluation system implementation.
- Communicate effectively with all levels of personnel on hardware and software needs.
- Advanced knowledge of relational database concepts and skills utilized in creating and maintaining relational databases and linking them with GIS.
- Knowledge and expertise in using GIS software such as ArcGIS 9.x equivalent at a moderate level of complexity.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403 (b) retirement plan
- Pension plan.
Other Benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
- FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others – and yourself