GBV Protection Officer at Jesuit Refugee Service
The Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international Catholic organisation with a mission to accompany, serve and advocate on behalf of refugees and other forcibly displaced persons. JRS undertakes services at national and regional levels with the support of an international office in Rome. Founded in November 1980 as a work of the Society of Jesus, JRS was …
Read more about this company
GBV Protection Officer
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 5 years
- Location Adamawa , Borno
- Job Field Medical / Healthcare  , NGO/Non-Profit
Job Title: GBV Protection Officer Supervisor: Head of Programmes
Country of Assignment: Nigeria Regional Directorate: West Africa
Place of Assignment: Either Mubi, Adamawa State or Maiduguri, Borno State
GBV-Protection officer position is responsible to provide coordination and supervision of sexual and gender-based violence awareness and prevention activities for conflict affected people in the Northeast of Nigeria. In addition to providing overall coordination, s/he will be also responsible to directly provide technical and professional support in planning and implementing of protection interventions in Emergency responses.
Key Responsibilities of the Position
- Ensures that planning and implementation of the project activities are in accordance with the program principles, approaches, and procedures of the organization;
- Ensure that need based GBV service providers are available for IDPs.
- Ensure that protection of GBV discussions and dialogues are conducted among IDPs.
- Work with local authorities and support victims of GBV to get appropriate care and treatment.
- Conduct training need assessments with stakeholders to identify learning needs and design appropriate training accordingly.
- Design and deliver training and workshops to raise awareness of gender norms, gender roles and SGBV to a wide range of persons across genders, age groups, religions and ethnic groups
- Design, implement and manage community based awareness raising campaigns on issues related to gender
- Provide strategic advice to JRS leadership on potential programming and interventions that can address social repercussions of inequalities resulting from fixed gender norms and roles
- Train teachers and community leaders on SGBV and other protection related issues
- Develop training modules and activities designed to pique critical thinking and dialogues on gender related topics
- Promote and represent the interests of the GBV/SGBVprogram with regards to all relevant stakeholders;
- Assist in the development and implementation of monitoring tools to evaluate potential changes in perceptions, behaviors and attitudes towards gender norms and roles
- Contribute to effective information management on SGBV survivors through the provision of disaggregated data on populations of concern and their problems.
- Contribute to the joint SGBV/ Child Protection Working Group.
- Coordinate and monitor the overall implementation of GBV program activities in Northeast Nigeria based on their established indicators, including collating and analysing data and information for reporting;
- Oversee & support the day to day implementation of program activities including case management/psychosocial support, follow-up and advocacy to meet the needs of beneficiaries & strengthening community capacity to prevent & respond to incidents of GBV;
- Assist mapping, establishment and strengthening of GBV referral pathways;
BA degree in Gender, Health, psychology, sociology, social work, or related areas of focus
Experience and Qualification
- 5 years’ experience in NGO setting.
- Experience on implementing or leading Sexual and reproductive health and/or Gender focused projects in emergency.
- Experience on working with internally displaced people.
- Adhere to JRS values and abide by the code of conduct and other policies.
- Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality, sensitivity to rural adolescent health, economic and social needs, conceptual understanding of participatory approach and sustainable development.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Good time management and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, content management systems, and social media platforms.
- Excellent oral communication in English and in a local language
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: [email protected] using the position as subject of email.