Gender Equality and Inclusion Coordinator at Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Working together with children, young people, supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges girls and vulnerable children face. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries, driving changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. Plan International is registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Gender Equality and Inclusion Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri – Borno
Contract Duration: 6 months
- Provide technical guidance and support in ensuring project processes, activities and outputs are in line with project Gender Equality and Inclusion Strategies and contribute to Plan International Nigeria, Donor, National and State level commitments to Gender Equality and Inclusion.
- This position will also be responsible for developing project and local partner staff’s capacity in the area of key gender equality and inclusion mainstreaming approaches and tools and management of the ‘Integrated Education for Adolescent Girls in Northern Nigeria’ project.
Dimensions of the Role
- Provide support to the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the ‘Integrated Education for Adolescent Girls in Northern Nigeria’ project in line with donor expectations, as well as Plan International Global and National ambition on gender equality and inclusion and its Humanitarian Response Strategy.
- Lead on project engagements with government and non-governmental partners on Gender Equality and inclusion issues including trafficking, early and forced marriage, early pregnancy and gender-based violence.
- Will lead gender equality and inclusion in children’s education (especially adolescent girls) across project strategy and implementation processes in humanitarian setting.
- Act in other capacities as agreed with supervisor and the Plan International Nigeria Senior Gender Equality and Inclusion Manager
- Develop a comprehensive Project Gender Equality and Inclusion Strategy in line with donor standards and Plan International commitments and Humanitarian Response Strategy.
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation components in the project adequately capture gender equality and inclusion indicators.
- Support the implementation of gender assessments, including providing technical support to facility assessments within the project.
- Analyze and synthesize the key findings to advise Project Coordinator on strategies to ensure positive gender transformative and inclusive in Education in Emergencies programming.
- Work with Project Coordinator to ensure best practices in adolescent programming strategies are adequately reflected in project activity processes.
- Provide regular and timely feedback on project progress against planned Gender Equality strategies and indicators.
- Support team members in presentations and engagements at the community level to ensure best practices in Gender Equality and inclusion are transferred.
- Ensure capacity building by regularly training staff, partners and associates for improved Gender Equality and Inclusion mainstreaming.
- Develop strong relationships with state partners to provide linkages for sustainability of positive Gender Equality outcomes in Humanitarian programming (especially for adolescent girls).
- Collaborates with other Country office programmes as necessary.
- Provide technical guidance and support on engagements with government and non-governmental project partners and stakeholders to ensure greater participation of women and adolescents in community and School Management Committee decision making processes.
- Contribute to the project review and reporting processes, including the sharing and dissemination of best practices on gender equality and inclusion mainstreaming within the project
- Contribute to the knowledge management system in a way that documents and establishes Plan International Nigeria commitments and expertise in Gender Equality.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences/Art with background in Gender Studies or an equivalent from a recognized University. Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- At least 3 years’ practical work experience in mainstreaming Gender Equality and Inclusion in projects especially Humanitarian programs.
- Experience in designing and conducting Gender Equality analysis, including some understanding of M and E processes.
- Knowledge and experience with Donor program and Gender Equality and Inclusion frameworks and approaches.
- Proven understanding of Gender programming concepts, adolescent programming and community approaches to development.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability to analyze large data sets through a gender equality lens.
- Excellent report writing skills
- Strong negotiating, facilitating and influencing skills
- Commitment to continuous learning and innovation.
- Good computer literacy skills.
- Knowledge of Hausa language.
- Good understanding of the Gender Equality barriers to adolescent and humanitarian programming.
- Communicates clearly and effectively appropriate to the audience
- Ability to contribute to policy development processes, including policy Gender strategies, framework development and monitoring.
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders and maintain strong relationships.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities. Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are strongly encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 16th June, 2021.