Global Health, Safety and Security Lead at One Acre Fund
One Acre Fund is a nonprofit organization that supplies smallholder farmers in East Africa with asset-based financing and agriculture training services to reduce hunger and poverty. Headquartered in Bungoma, Kenya, the organization works with farmers in rural villages throughout Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania and recently Malawi.
Using a market-based ap…
Read more about this company
Global Health, Safety and Security Lead
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 3 years
- Location Other
- Job Field Safety and Environment / HSE
Location: Kigali, Rwanda or Nairobi, Kenya
Preferred Start Date: As soon as possible
Sponsor International Candidates: Yes
About the Job
- We are looking for an experienced health, safety and security professional to take on an important leadership role in the Corporate Operations Department. One Acre Fund is an expanding organization, with a team of over 7,000 staff distributed across 10 locations within Africa and Asia. We understand that our locations of work can at times pose heightened risks. Given this, we invest in the safety, security, and well-being of our team, and so see this role as essential to the success of the organization.
- The Health, Safety and Security (HSS) team forms an important component of our Corporate Operations department, and members of the HSS team work with our most senior leaders to create the One Acre Fund’s Health, Safety and Security strategy and implement it.
- In this role, you will ensure the delivery of this strategy through the development of simple and scalable systems to mitigate risk and improve our preparedness to keep our staff safe and healthy.
- You will also lead the response to any situations that do arise, such as staff injury in the field or political instability in one of our countries of operation.
The Overarching goals of this role are to:
- Design and deliver solutions to observed operational challenges relating to health, safety, and security issues by guiding implementation through a team of staffers across our locations.
- These challenges, if not managed well, would cause significant risks and barriers to the organization as we seek to scale up globally.
- Create a strategic approach to organization-level health, safety & security work and promote organizational policy, structural procedures and on-the-ground responses following this strategy.
- Coordinate response to acute emergencies (e.g. staff security incidents or road traffic accidents) or longer-term crises (e.g. global COVID-19 pandemic).
- Responses to emergencies affecting our staff are important moments in the morale and retention of staff.
- Getting the response right depends on thinking on your feet, working with a lot of different people, applying a range of skills, and advocating for the well-being of all affected parties.
- Build Team: Hire and manage a team of in-country security experts who will ensure that systems and processes are maintained to an excellent level on a daily basis, to lead on the smooth roll-out of new projects, and to provide leadership systems on the ground in all locations.
- Build Relationships: Build and maintain strong collaborative relationships across several departments, amongst in-country leaders, senior leaders in the organization, and a range of international security partners to create agreement and momentum on systemic improvements to our health, safety and security systems.
- Educate and Influence behavior change: Use intel communications, internal systems, and trainings to improve staff awareness, education, and behavior patterns to mitigate risks and improve their safety.
Career Growth and Development:
- We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance.
- We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
- We are looking for someone with 5+ years’ of strong project management experience at an NGO, private organization, or a security consultancy organization.
Candidates who fit the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Passion for operations, building scalable and efficient systems and solving problems in a difficult operating environment.
- Experience managing teams and developing leaders; experience in remote management a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High levels of emotional resilience and emotional intelligence.
- Related Master’s Degree is an asset, but not strictly required.
- A willingness to commit to living in East Africa for at least two years – this is a long-term, career-track role.
- Experience working in a multicultural workplace in a developing country a plus.
- Language: Fluent English. French and/or Swahili also valuable.
- Travel: 3-months travel per year to our sites of operations. 6 weeks unplanned travel in response to emergency incidents.
Compensation / Benefits
- Commensurate with experience.
- Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Method of Application
Note: East Africans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested and qualified? Go to One Acre Fund on oneacrefund.org to apply