Government Affairs and Public Policy Manager at Google
Google is not a conventional company, and we don’t intend to become one. True, we share attributes with the world’s most successful organizations – a focus on innovation and smart business practices comes to mind – but even as we continue to grow, we’re committed to retaining a small-company feel. At Google, we know that every employee has something important to say, and that every employee is integral to our success. We provide individually-tailored compensation packages that can be comprised of competitive salary, bonus, and equity components, along with the opportunity to earn further financial bonuses and rewards.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Government Affairs and Public Policy Manager
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
About the Job
- As a member of Google’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You’re passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
- As our Manager for Public Policy and Government Relations in Nigeria, you will represent Google externally with government, regulators and third parties, as well as help manage our local public policy strategy and campaigns. You will work with a cross-functional team of Google employees in Africa as well as with a closely-coordinated global Public Policy team to advance policy positions that benefit our users.
- You will handle various product agendas with policy makers inside and outside government as part of the team in West Africa. In addition, you will help advise our product and engineering teams on the public policy implications of their products, working with a closely coordinated and cross-functional global team.
- Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Engage directly with Nigerian policymakers, industry players and key opinion formers to shape policy and political dialogue on thoughtful, responsible technology policy and the beneficial impact it can contribute to society and economy.
- Develop and execute advocacy/policy campaigns in relevant policy areas that impact Google and the web.
- Engage with trade associations, industry partners, NGOs and others to support policies that will help create/maintain the web open.
- Monitor and research current and relevant emerging public policy issues considering how Google should work with allied organizations and industries.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience working with or in government, politics, or a regulatory agency in Nigeria.
- Experience engaging directly with politicians, decision makers, academia, think tanks, business associations and NGOs.
- Knowledge of the Pan African regional blocks such as Africa Union and ECOWAS.
- Ability to write well and translate complex issues into simple language that non experts can understand.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing and sometimes stressful environment.
- Strong collaboration skills
- Knowledge of technology innovation, content regulation, privacy, safety, and data protection.
- Ability to identify opportunities and areas for improvement, and to operate in a fast-paced environment.