Graduate Shelter & Settlement Intern at Mercy Corps Nigeria – 2 Openings
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter & Settlement Intern
Requisition Number: SHELT01639
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Category: Programming
General Position Summary
- This position is based in Maiduguri with major responsibility in supporting the field teams in record keeping, initiating procurement requests, focal point for documentation, securing approvals, documentation retention for shelter sector, assisting the S&S Coordinator in day to day tasks.
- He/she also responsible for submitting timely reports to the shelter/CCCM sector and MRRR/SEMA on monthly basis.
Essential Job Functions
- Focal point for shelter sector documentation retention in compliance to [email protected] minimum standard and manage the documentation of the sector for audit and donor compliance.
- Focal point for internal & external audits to represent shelter sector documentation, records and fulfil auditor requirements.
- Liaise with finance, OPS and humanitarian PM/Director/TL/Implementation Director to provide necessary shelter sector-related documentation when required.
- Assisting the field S&S teams for producing, recording and retaining documents shelter, including donor compliance.
- Assisting S&S Coordinator for all S&S administrative affairs in liaison with other relevant team members.
- He/she will be the focal point for all the field demands to seek approvals, follow up with program support and program management/team lead on the approvals of PRs and POs and preparation of payment documents and following up on approval, reviews, procurement and payment processes as per approval authority matrix, and final submission to finance team for pay-out.
- Assisting S&S Coordinator in planning and coordination to ensure effective shelter projects implementation in deep field locations.
- Maintaining all documentation relating to shelter activities required to ensure accountability to the participants and donor.
- Providing needed information on shelter activities, achievements, and progress when requested by MEL, reporting team and other program staff.
- Assisting S&S coordinator in information management for S&S activities in deep field locations.
- Oversee administrative matters this include drafting of service contract for service providers, daily hire staff, tracking service contract expirations, renewals and closing the contracts
- Assisting the S&S Coordinator in organizing internal and external meetings.
- Preparing monthly shelter 4-5W reports and submitting to Shelter / CCCM sector.
- Responsible to share weekly team updates to respective HPM
- Folder management to keeping program staff updated on all document and made possible for them to easily access required documents in google drive and/or team drive
- Photo Management for Shelter Projects, documenting lesson learnt and success stories.
- Any other duty when assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Reports Directly To: Shelter & Settlements Coordinator-ADAPT
- Works Directly With: Shelter & Settlement team, MEL team, ADAPT-PM team, Operations, and Finance teams
Knowledge and Experience
- Fresh University Graduate/ HND in Public Administration, Office Management or equivalent
- Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
- Willing and able to be based within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Professional, good organizational capacity, good human relationships, motivated, flexible, culturally sensitive
- Fluency in both verbal and written English highly preferred. Fluency in Kanuri is required
- Multi-tasking, coordination, organization, prioritization skills essential.
- Highly-developed MS Office utility skills (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with team members required.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills.
- The successful candidate will combine curiosity and strong willingness to learn in the shortest possible time that will enable the candidate to meet the expectations of this role.
- The candidate should equip with additional attribute of a “want-to-do” attitude.
- S/he will be an effective communicator, self-motivated with dedication towards deliverables and commitment to deliver with limited time and resources.
- S/He will be highly motivated, with initiative and capable to work with limited direct supervision.
- S/he will be willing to conduct several days-long field travels and work in an ethnically and culturally diversified and fast-growing team
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
16th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Kindly indicate under the source question that you are a Current (or Former) Mercy Corps Team Member.