Head of Legal / Company Secretary at an Investment / Financial Company
An Investment / Financial company in Nigeria is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Legal / Company Secretary
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Description / Responsibilities
Company Secretary – Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage relationships and all issues relating to the Board of Directors and Shareholders, including convening Board, Committee and General Meetings;
- Ensure compliance by the Group with best Corporate Governance Practices including risk identification and mitigation;
- Filing of Statutory Returns (Secretariat related);
- Provide efficient, effective legal support services and ensuring compliance by the Group with laws governing its operations;
- Ensure the Group is legally protected in all its transactions, with customers and other third parties;
- Render all regulatory secretarial returns.
Legal Services – Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides legal counsel and guidance to the officers of the Group and management on all legal matters relevant to the Group, including personnel law, policies, procedures, rules,and regulations, and laws pertaining to workers, real estate transactions, contracts and grants, tax matters, worker’s compensation, liability and insurance matters, public monies and purchases, affirmative action, and other laws and regulations.
- Anticipates and identifies legal issues and counsels officers of the Group and other upper management in order to develop legal strategies and solutions, often in situations of great political, public relations, or financial risk or significance, and with limited time for assessing alternatives.
- Reviews, researches, interprets, and prepares both written and oral opinions on a wide variety of legal issues.
- Drafts, reviews, and approves policies and procedures, regulations, bylaws, and other legal documents.
- Reviews contracts, leases, and other legal documents; researches legal issues and recommends revisions as necessary.
- Represents or oversees the representation of the Group and management in judicial and administrative proceedings, and in negotiations with other corporate and state agencies.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization’s goals and objectives; oversees recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of unit staff.
- Develops and manages annual budgets for the organization and performs periodic cost and productivity analyses.
- Selects and obtain management’s approval to retains outside counsel, as required, to obtain legal opinions or to handle claims and litigation.
- Supervises legal work of other attorneys, paralegals, and outside counsel; consults on difficult or sensitive issues and legal due diligence
- Provides training to staff on various legal issues through seminars and meetings.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest legal developments
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- LLB undergraduate degree;
- A Master’s degree/professional qualifications will be an added advantage;
- Minimum of 7 Years relevant working experience.
- Strong knowledge of Legal services and Risk Management;
- Policy Development, Regulatory Compliance, Contract Negotiations Skills;
- Good Drafting Skills; and
- Good Communication Skills, Leadership and Management Skills Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage a large corporate or centralized institutional legal office.
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Knowledge of the range of applicable laws and regulations which impact on all facets business and operations.
- Ability to analyze and interpret issues and to prepare legal opinions.
- Ability to communicate and interact with officials at all levels of government.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Knowledge of current and developing legal issues and trends in the area of expertise.
- Ability to supervise and coordinate the work of legal professionals, paraprofessionals, and consultants.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Knowledge of the principles and procedures of legal research.
- Negotiating skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of institutional policies and procedures and the regulatory environment within which they operate.
- Knowledge of contract law.
- Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of the judicial system and procedures.
- Knowledge of legal documentation procedures and requirements.
- Ability to develop and implement legal strategies and solutions.
- Knowledge of community legal resources.
Application Closing Date
18th March, 2021.
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: [email protected] Using the “Job title” as the subject of the email.