Health, Safety and Environment Manager at Sun Metal Industries Limited
Sun Metal Industries was incorporated and registered in March 2008 to engage in the manufacture of ferrous metals for the domestic construction market in Nigeria and non-ferrous metal products like Aluminum, Copper and Lead for export.
Sun Metal Industries has grown to become the leading exporter in West Africa to countries such as Japan and Germany where global leaders in automobile manufacturing utilize our aluminum alloys. Sun Metal Industries received the prestigious NIS (Standards Organization of Nigeria) Award and obtained ISO 9001:2000 certification from SANAS.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health, Safety and Environment Manager
Location: Sango Ota, Ogun
Reporting Line: GM
Direct reports: HSE Officer
- The Health and Safety Manager will be responsible for the review, development, and implementation and monitoring of the Health and Safety management systems, to ensure the safety of staff, students, visitors and contractors, in line with current Health and Safety and associated legislation. This post also has responsibility for the line management of the Health and Safety Officers
- Review and develop all aspects of the company’s Health and Safety policy and activity, and ensure that it is implemented consistently across board.
- Monitor, evaluate and review existing, new and upcoming Health and Safety legislation and ensure that the company has systems and procedures in place to meet legal compliance.
- Work proactively with managers and other key staff to establish and maintain a programme of continuous improvement in the management of Health and Safety within their areas of responsibility, which includes conducting regular audits.
- Ensure that rigorous risk assessment and accident management systems are in place to enable departments/staff in high risk areas undertake risk assessment processes to identify hazards and to ensure that appropriate control measures are in place.
- Maintain a central record of all risk assessments and monitor recording within the company and approve risk assessments for all staff workplace assessments.
- Discuss areas for improvement with relevant staff and/or external bodies and agree appropriate corrective action.
- Assist with fire risk assessments according to an agreed schedule and in line with legal requirements.
- Liaise with Occupational Health Service staff on health surveillance where a risk assessment has identified a need, including carrying out stress risk assessments when required and maintain appropriate records.
- Provide staff with comprehensive and relevant information and training on Health and Safety systems and procedures, including advising on equipment purchase and workplace practices.
- Maintain the accident and ‘near miss’ database and prepare reports for the GM Corporate Services, using statistical and other analytical tools.
- Undertake the planning and implementation of fire drills and other evacuation procedures.
- Ensure that appropriate records are maintained in compliance with legal requirements.
- Design and deliver training sessions on key areas of the company’ activity in relation to Health and Safety.
- Attend regular update training on Health and Safety legislation and the application of key policies
- Ensure compliance with, and implementation of, all company policies and procedures that impact on the delivery of effective Health and Safety systems.
- Any other function as may be assigned by the GM Corporate Services and GMD
Minimum Educational Qualifications and Work Experience
- First bachelor’s degree / HND in Science / Engineering. Possession of an MBA or equivalent will be an added advantage.
- Professional qualifications in HSE and Fire & Safety Management Systems.
- Minimum of 6 years relevant post-graduation experience 2 out of which must be managerial level.
Minimum Competency and Skills Requirements
- Conducting organizational and administrative duties
- Working knowledge in Health, Safety and Environment Management Systems
- Safety consciousness
- Being adaptable and self-driven
- Strategic thinking and strong execution skills.
- Excellent leadership and man management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Competent in problem solving, team building, planning and decision making
Application Closing Date
8th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: [email protected] using the “Job title” as the subject of the email.