Human Resources & Administrative Officer at Norwegian Church Aid
Norwegian Church Aid (‘NCA’) is a member of the ACT Alliance and works with people and local actors, especially Faith-based actors in many countries where it works in their struggle to eradicate poverty and injustices. We provide humanitarian assistance in disasters and work for long-term development in local communities and societies. In order to address the root causes of poverty, we advocate for just decisions by public authorities, businesses, and religious leaders.
NCA has a presence in Nigeria to respond to the Humanitarian crisis in Northeast Nigeria and had program Emergency WASH response in the Cross-River states. NCA has its core competencies in Water Sanitation and Hygiene – WASH, Gender-Based Violence with mainstreamed Adolescent Sexual Reproductive Health. NCA has its strengths in works and invests in local partners ensures their capacities are built from the onset of response, in order to enable them to have the capacity to respond in a long-term intervention including recovery and development.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources & Administrative Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Temporary
Norwegian Church Aid (‘NCA’) is a member of the ACT Alliance and works with people and local actors, especially Faith-based actors in many countries where it works in their struggle to eradicate poverty and injustices. We provide humanitarian assistance in disasters and work for long-term development in local communities and societies. In order to address the root causes of poverty, we advocate for just decisions by public authorities, businesses and religious leaders.
NCA has a presence in Nigeria to respond to the Humanitarian crisis in Northeast Nigeria and had program Emergency WASH response in Cross-River state. NCA has its core competencies in Water Sanitation and Hygiene – WASH, Gender Based Violence with mainstreamed Adolescent Sexual Reproductive Health. NCA has its strengths in works and invest in local partners to ensure their capacities are built from the onset of response, in order to enable them to have the capacity to respond in a long-term intervention including recovery and development.
Brief Description of the Post:
- The HR & Admin Officer will provide effective and efficient Human Resources (HR) and administration operational support services to the Snr HR/Admin Officer in ensuring smooth service delivery for successful programme delivery.
Specific Objectives of Mission (objectives, scope and deliverables)
- HR Administration: Support the Snr HR/Amin Officer in strengthening Human Resources/administrative processes by ensuring a high level of adherence to Human recourse policies and best practices.
- Staff Recruitment: Support the full cycle of recruitment process in compliance with established procedures and regulations.
- Administration and office management: To ensure that NCA meets its business objectives and mainstreams administrative processes across operational activities for effective administration service.
- Staff Management: Provide oversight management support to direct report to ensure high productivity
- Travel Management: Provide all travel-related support to the country office.
Roles and Responsibilities
Objective 1: HR Administration:
- Support the coordination of inductions for new staff
- Support documentation of employees in soft and hard copies.
- Assist in collecting information required for HR policies and other HR-related projects.
- Manage filing system for HR information, including sensitive and confidential information on Aditro.
- Ensure that all employees are covered under the appropriate benefits policy.
- Support with facilitating HR-related trainings e.g Performance Development Review activities, Time sheet.
- Provide support to staff on aspects of HR and personnel management, as per NCA’s policies and procedures
- Manage staff contract renewal and exit processes
- Participate in team meetings to bring up issues, share knowledge, achievements, and provide support to the team.
Objective 2: Staff Recruitment:
- Support the Snr HR/Admin Officer with recruitment processes (in collaboration with the allocated recruiting manager), including advertising, collating applications, administering written tests and interviews.
- Prepare recruitment report for timely submission and approval.
- Perform all required reference, background and documentation checks for new hire as required.
- Ensure proper documentation of recruitment processes.
- Maintain recruitment tracker for new vacancies.
- Ensure compliance with all NCA’s recruitment policies and procedures
Objective 3: Administration and Office Management:
- Responsible for maintaining an accurate inventory of office and guesthouse supplies to include stationery and consumables while, initiating replenishment as at when due.
- Ensure NCA office and guesthouses are managed proactively and properly.
- With guidance from the snr. HR/Admin officer continuously review and update admin systems and procedures to ensure seamless administrative services and improve efficiency.
- Ensure operation of office equipment and facilities including reviewing maintenance requirements, arranging for necessary repairs, maintaining equipment to ensure optimal functionality.
- Oversee cleaning services to ensure cleanliness, tidiness and ambience of office and guesthouses for productive work.
- Ensuring timely processing of utility and service bills.
- Conduct inductions for new staff on admin systems and procedures.
- Ensure smooth management of day to day administrative function and requirement in the office.
- Provide excellent coordination in organizing office events such as meetings, workshops and conferences while, ensuring value for money and transparency in all the processes.
- Responsible for record-keeping and filing of important administrative office documentation
Objective 4: Staff Management:
- Effectively supervise all direct reports which includes (cleaners and cook) in the performance of their duties.
- Ensure the proper implementation of NCA’s performance development review system for direct reports, including job description and annual performance objectives development, regular feedback, mid-term reviews and annual appraisals.
- Proactively address performance issues through regular, constructive and honest feedback and coaching for direct reports.
- Identify necessary staff development and career development opportunities for direct reports.
- Ensure levels of authority and responsibility are clearly defined, understood and followed by direct reports.
Objective 5: Travel Management:
- Facilitate travel and accommodation arrangements not limited to (flight and hotel bookings) for staff and visitors as requested.
- Proactively communicate and work closely with expats and visitors for visa issuance and renewal processes.
- To ensure timely communication and appropriate welcoming of visitors (provide welcome packs, travel itinerary.
- Support in timely reconciliation and processing of hotel and travel payments
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) in Human Resources, Business Administration, social sciences or a related field preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years relevant work experience in the North East
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PPT, Outlook) is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task and work independently while being a team player with a positive “can-do” attitude.
- Demonstrate willingness to take on challenges and work toward continued process improvements to foster and implement an environment of efficiency.
- Must demonstrate a good understanding of contemporary human resource issues as it relates to Labor Law and best practices
- Familiarity with general administrative and office management.
NCA is committed to following the following policies, standards and commitments and all staff are equally expected to conform to their requirements:
- Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP)
- Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Disaster Relief
- ACT Alliance Code of Conduct
- SPHERE Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Relief
- NCA Nigeria Security Plan
- NCA Nigeria Staff Handbook
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within Norwegian Church Aid and amongst beneficiaries served by Norwegian Church Aid.
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics within Norwegian Church Aid. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Norwegian Church Aid’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards.
- Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.