Hydrogeologist at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
- Job TypeFull Time
- Job Field
Engineering / Technical
Reports To: Deputy Chief of Party
Job Ref Code: HGT202119
Full JD Link: http://bit.ly/2s5eyWX
- The Hydrogeologist will be responsible for the supervision and management of boreholes siting and construction under the water for agriculture activity. The selected candidate is expected to have prior borehole siting and construction oversight, quality assurance, reporting experience, contract administration of similar construction activity. The candidate’s will be based either in Borno, Adamawa or Yobe State.
- Provide technical support in the management of field operations in the selection of sites, design, development and construction of boreholes as part of the water infrastructure for the water for agriculture activity.
- Evaluate and interpret hydrogeologic data and develop appropriate conclusions and recommendations, as well as prepare detailed technical support to the DCoP on efficient execution of water for agriculture activity.
- Provide technical support for the planning, coordination and monitoring of all construction and civil engineering works, as well as supervise the preparation of borehole logs for the project.
- Assist on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis, in the writing and presentation of the operations and other technical reports as required by the DCoP/Infrastructure Specialist for the overall management of the water for agriculture activity.
- Ensure contractors carry out efficient handling of all field equipment and their accessories in line with Nigeria’s health, safety and environmental regulations.
- In collaboration with the Water Construction Supervisors, support to ensure harmonious coordination, operations and management of water infrastructure by the Water Users’ Association, Water Management Committees and other relevant Government agencies.
Qualifications and Skills
- Post graduate level education in Hydrogeology or in another related field
- Professional Technical skills desired (certification)
- At least 5+ years of experience in borehole siting and construction, managing construction/WASH programs in underdeveloped/crisis contexts.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, SPHERE and other international humanitarian WASH guidelines with a minimum 2-3 years’ experience as a professional in international NGO context, with a sound knowledge of WASH issues in crisis contexts
- Good anticipation, planning skill, especially in changing work contexts.
- Problem solving ability; able to enforce procedures
- Experience communicating in different cultural work environments & with a wide diversity of culture
- Experience in attending and contributing in meetings with government and other agencies
- Good communicator in English, Hausa or Fulfulde will be an added advantage
- Ability to work with little or no supervision and attention to details.
- Willingness and ability to travel to the field for program monitoring and supportive visits.
- Experience in Geophysical interpretation, Water quality testing, pumping test and database management
- Facilitation of coordination platforms and stakeholder engagement
- Worked with research projects and supported consultants in previous projects
- Expertise in planning, formulation, implementation, monitoring and reporting on borehole construction.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expression of Interest (EOI) along with a detailed Resume attached as one document in PDFformat to: [email protected] indicating the “Title of the Consultancy and the Consultancy Code” as subject of the mail (e.g. MEAL Director, MED211118).
Equal Employer Opportunity:
- “CRS is an equal – opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, color, religion and we are committed to gender sensitive programming and management’. etc.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”
- By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
- ‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’