Intern – Travel Coordination Manager at Spearfish Security West Africa Limited
Spearfish Security West Africa is the Nigerian registered arm of Spearfish Security Ltd, based in Winchester, UK.
Spearfish West Africa works with a range of clients including the development sector, managing risk and addressing the wide range of security issues frequently experienced in Nigeria. We provide direct support in the current areas of high risk and specialise in anticipating potential future developments and hot spots. We provide direct management and guidance on accommodation, trip management and contingency plans to help protect international and national staff along with project assets. Our in-country teams provide expert local knowledge, working with clients to find pragmatic security solutions which ensure safety whilst maintaining project delivery.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Intern – Travel Coordination Manager
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Internship
- Spearfish seeks to recruit a recent graduate, who is just post-NYSC service, as an intern within the operations room of our Abuja office. The individual will be responsible for the management of client travel management planning and will liaise with Spearfish security advisers in the conduct of risk analysis, especially for proposed movements within medium and high-risk areas.
- The post advertised is for the role based in Utako, Abuja.
Terms of Reference
- Title: Travel Coordination Manager
- Location: Nigeria (100%)
- Supervisor: Senior Security Adviser
- Purpose: Provide support to Spearfish’s Client base in Nigeria
- Duration: Six (6) months renewable
- Starting Date: 1 July 2021
Overview of Approach by the Spearfish West Africa:
- To ensure a comprehensive and tailored travel risk management system for our client portfolio in Nigeria, the travel coordination manager would:
Be consultative, flexible & inclusive in decision-making:
- Spearfish recognizes the importance of working closely with our widely different client programmes in Nigeria. Therefore, the security profile that will support the implementation of project deliverables is not only designed to keep client staff, project partners and beneficiaries safe and secure, but will also be based on inputs from all involved to ensure a collaborative, flexible & inclusive approach.
Conduct pre-emptive risk management and mitigation:
- Our goal is to never have to escalate to an interventionist approach. The team will continuously monitor (actively & passively) the program areas & regions of intervention. Constant & consistent risk rating evaluations with the corresponding safety & security elements of over-watch will limit risk and exposure as much as possible while endeavouring to ensure project delivery & implementation at all sites and on all levels.
Role and Spearfish Integration:
- The travel coordination manager will be responsible for the day-to-day management and security coordination of client travel within Nigeria. The role is office based, at our Utako office.
- The travel coordination manager will work with client Security Focal Points (SFP) or Operations Mangers to risk assess client travel forecasts. Client travel is either pre-notified for multiple weekly movements, via sharepoint excel spreadsheets, or individually requested via our Travel Risk Assessment Form (TRAF) protocol.
- While travel serials are actively underway, the travel coordination manager will be responsible to managing the overwatch protocols appropriate to the assessed risk for each journey and for activating Spearfish response in the event of a travel incident occurrence.
Description of the Activities:
- The role is considered a “fixed” appointment meaning that the Travel Coordination Manager would deliver the role for the Abuja operations room. However, out of hours response in the event of emergency would be expected.
- Close liaison with respective client SFP/Ops Managers on travel plans.
- Provide safety and risk management advice and guidance to clients in collaboration with Spearfish Security Advisers.
- Collaborate with clients to ensure oversight of security related issues on active travel movements.
Safety and Security Assessments:
- Conduct safety and security assessments in collaboration with Spearfish Security Advisers for identified medium/high risk journey plans.
- Coordinate & collaborate with Security elements in Nigeria.
- Manage the ‘live journey’ action board.
- Maintain the intelligence & information contacts database.
- Assist in production of any client requested safety and risk management documentation.
- Manage the operations room, ensuring a tidy, Covid secure work environment.
- Any other reasonable tasks as determined by the Senior Security Manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a security related subject.
- Fluent in written and spoken Hausa.
- Educated with a high standard of writing and numerical skills.
- Adaptability, flexibility and diplomacy.
- A confident, demonstrably mature, robust and outgoing personality.
- Demonstrable problem-solving skills.
- Politically and culturally aware and sensitive.
- Patience and strong character.
- Able to cope with stress and work in an unstable context.
- Able to present matters concisely and coherently in both spoken and written English
- Some knowledge of security and context analysis.
- Knowledge of the context and Nigeria’s recent history.
- Demonstrable IT knowledge and skills compulsory (Microsoft Office 365 suite, word processing, etc.)
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team (with both expat and national staff)
- Social or professional connections with security agencies.
- N60,000 – N10,000 monthly.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their written application, along with full CV and references to: [email protected] using the Post Title and Your Name as the subject of the email.
- Please do not apply if you are unable to meet the first two essential attributes.
- Please put the post title and your name in Capital in the subject bar.
- Shortlisted candidates can expect to be invited for interview during the week beginning 21st June 2021.
- Due to the expected high number of applications, it will not be possible to respond to all applicants. So, if you have not heard from us by Friday 18th June, please accept that you have been sifted out during the selection process
Application Deadline 17th June, 2021.