Internal Auditor (Graduate Trainee) at Abbey Mortgage Bank Plc
Abbey Mortgage Bank Plc is the premier, largest and most profitable, non-aligned Primary Mortgage Bank in Nigeria. Abbey is one of the seven national Primary Mortgage Banks (PMB) licensed by the Central Bank of Nigeria and Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN). The recent recapitalization exercise saw the downsize from 105 mortgage banks to only 34 now surviving. We not only emerged successfully capitalized but one of the few that also met our National obligation as well as amongst the public liability companies.
Internal Auditor (Graduate Trainee)
- Job TypeFull Time
- Job Field
ICT / Computer
Description of Area of Responsibility
- The role of the Internal Auditor is to add value and improve our operations by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to the improvement of effectiveness of risk management, control, and operational processes.
- The Internal Auditor shall work very closely with departments to ensure everything is working as it should be, for instance that costs are being contained and that the Bank is fully complying with the laws and regulations relevant to each area of its work. Efficiency is a key objective of this function but it is not only about monetary efficiency.
- Internal audit ensures that risk controls in place are working; firstly, to prevent and detect fraudulent activities and secondly to protect the Bank’s reputation.
- The Internal Auditor shall work to recognize and report any discrepancies.
- While some of the work is focused on finance, any aspect of the operations of the Bank can be subject to internal audits, from IT and client services to environmental policies.
The responsibilities of the Internal Auditor include:
- Planning individual audits, defining internal audit objectives and preparing audit plans
- Completing on-site business audits, evaluating the effectiveness of controls and writing up reports
- Contributing to the overall development of the Bank’s internal audit function
- Interviewing the different teams and functions about working practices
- Preparing and executing test programs
- Preparing work papers and internal audit reports to support the findings and conclusions and making recommendations for improvement where necessary
- Discussing findings with the Chairman’s Office and Management
- Following up on actions arising from audit assignments as required and preparing status reports in that regard
- Continuously reviewing compliance procedures, ensuring the Bank is adhering to rules, codes of practice, business ethics, internal guidelines and policies and procedures
- Performing ad hoc projects as required
- Identifying ways in which the Bank can deliver better value for money and improve the services used
- Challenging current working practices and finding ways to improve internal risk controls
- Proactively evaluating risks and internal controls against changing trends and market and economic conditions
- Sharing with the auditees the results of the audit and agreeing appropriate corrective actions to remedy any non-conformance and the date by which the actions should be carried out
Qualifications, skills and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy or ACCA or equivalent
- Recently graduated within the last 2 years
- Knowledge in performing audits and assessing risks, and in designing audit programs to reflect the operational and business environment
- Knowledge of relevant international standards and quality benchmarks governing internal audit practice, including internal audit code of ethics
- High level of technical auditing skills and knowledge
- Good project management and team working abilities
- Commitment to gaining professional qualifications and ongoing self-development
- Strong analytical, presentation and reporting skills
- Personal computer skills with knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet skills required
- Capability for a broad application of principles, theories, and concepts in internal auditing standards plus a working knowledge of disciplines related to audit-able areas.
- We are looking for someone who has an objective, logical and inquiring mind, who is tactful but assertive, and is a persistent and good negotiator.
- The ideal candidate will have a confident and professional character, and must be resourceful, self-motivated, proactive and happy to take on responsibility.
- The role requires someone who is articulate, both verbally and in writing.
Interested and qualified? Go to Abbey Mortgage Bank Plc career website on www.abbeymortgagebank.com to apply