Job Openings at INTERSOS
INTERSOS is an independent, no-profit organization which, through its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively answer the needs of people in serious crises situations, mainly in the world’s poorest regions, who are suffering, deprived of rights, dignity and essentials goods. It maintains a flexible operating structure. The head office in Italy c…
Read more about this company
- Open Jobs
- ECHO Project Manager
- Camp Management and Camp Coordination (CCCM) and Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) Coordinator
- Method of Application
ECHO Project Manager
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 5 years
- Location Borno
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit  , Project Management
Location: Maiduguri with missions to the coordination office in Abuja and the field bases (Monguno, Dikwa and Ngala, Borno State)
Starting date: 01/04/2020
Reporting to: Programme Coordinator
Contract duration: 12 Months
General Context of the Project
- INTERSOS is partnering with Solidarities International to deliver an integrated multi-sector response targeting conflict-affected populations in
- Borno State, North-East Nigeria. The partnership will cover the most urgent needs for IDPS and host communities in the Local Government Areas (LGA) of Monguno, Dikwa and Ngala, among the hot-spots receiving the largest number of IDPs.
- The project will cover part of the current life-saving needs, as well as a crisis modifier component to allow both partners to have the best operational flexibility possible to respond rapidly to massive influx of new IDPs, epidemics outbreaks, floods, and storms.
- The project will focus on a holistic service provision approach, with protection concerns mainstreamed into each activity. Services provided by the partners include: primary health care, nutrition, access to safe water, improved sanitation infrastructures, waste management, hygiene promotion, improvement of shelter conditions, strengthen of the protection environment (looking at Human Rights violations, social cohesion and protection capacity strengthening of implementing teams), site management, reception centres management and NFI distribution for new arrivals. In addition, a multisector emergency rapid response is also planned for in this project.
- Specifically, INTERSOS will directly implement Health and Nutrition activities (Primary Health Care through health post and mobile units, Sexual Reproductive Health and integrated Nutrition support), Protection activities (protection outreach and monitoring, community centers, case management for PWSN, and protection capacity building) and CCCM (Management of 2 Reception Centres).
General Purpose of the Position
- The Project Manager is accountable for the overall vision and leadership of the project and is accountable for delivering results of this multi-sectoral project. The PM will also oversee the activities, Administrative, HR and Logistics component of the multi-sectoral project, ensuring operations quality, strategic programming and planning, as well as strategic growth and strong external and internal representation and advocacy.
- S/He will be responsible of the partnership with SI and the reporting mechanisms related to project achievements and M&E related aspects.
- S/he must be able to motivate and lead a diverse team of staff as well as effectively oversee the activities, budgets and partnerships.
- The successful candidate should possess significant experience managing program, financial and operations of ECHO or other international donor-funded projects.
- This position is subject to project award and funding.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- Oversee the implementation and completion of all technical requirements, including project results and deliverables, in accordance with the project work plan.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with partnership leader (Solidarites International), ECHO, and key stakeholders at the international, national and sub-national level.
- Serve as the primary liaison among key project stakeholders.
- Manage the project’s operational, financial, and administrative priorities; direct the planning and budgeting processes.
- Create or adapt project management systems in line with INTERSOS’s standard operating procedures, ensuring consistency with project needs.
- Design and oversee an annual project cycle in accordance with INTERSOS’s annual planning cycles
- With staff and partners, translate project goals and objectives into implementable strategies and plans.
- Oversee the preparation of donor-required reports, M&E reports, and other deliverables, as specified in the agreement, reporting against the project’s targets.
- Represent the project at high-level meetings, conferences, and other fora.
- Guide team members to fulfil the project’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Supervise and mentor senior staff, delegating responsibilities as appropriate. Clearly communicate expectations for staff performance.
- National/local authorities, State institutions, local civil society and other relevant actors
- Establish appropriate links with national and local authorities, State institutions, local civil society and other relevant actors to maintain appropriate coordination and information exchange with them;
- Promote the capacity building of relevant authorities, where deemed necessary;
- Ensure robust and strategic information is available to enable partner management to review consortium management and implementation.
- Play a key role in consortium representation in formal and informal relationships with partner, donor, government authorities and other stakeholders, as appropriate.
- Support the design of cross consortium advocacy initiatives and participate in advocacy activities that target decision-makers in-country related to project advocacy objectives.
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Information Management and Reporting
- Ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and documentation of the program, and that any learning is built into the design of future programmatic work
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to supervisors and other team members.
- Draft (internal) narrative reports and contribute to the development of financial reports through regular budgetary follow up.
- Contribute to drafting of (external) technical reports, ensuring the quality and accuracy of information provided.
- Review the financial and expense reports to avoid under/overspending
- Ensure accurate budget forecasting and expense planning
- Responsible for all logistics procedures for the project in coordination with logistics department, ensuring Intersos and Donor requirements are met, and proper documentation is collected and maintained for all procurements.
- Contribute to the development of project procurement plans
- Ensure all administrative procedures are followed for staff in the field, updating personal details on file, accurate ToRs for each staff member, payroll, etc.
- Participate in the transparent and timely recruitment of project staff (developing organigrams, ToRs, elaborating recruitment tests)
- Ensure regular performance appraisal and career management of project teams
- Ensure a positive working environment and good team dynamics
- Manage interpersonal conflicts
- Ensure capacity building among project staff Transparency / Compliance
- Together with Security Coordinator, Head of Base and Fields Security focal points, assess risks in the areas of project implementation and develop context-specific CPP, MOSS and SOPs
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (Social Sciences, International Relations/ Development, Humanitarian Assistance, Business Administration or related field) from an accredited academic institution.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in either protection, CCCM, Health and Nutrition- Ideally a combination of Protection in an emergency, H&N in Emergency, CCCM experience or exposure would be preferred. Knowledge of ECHO procedures would be considered an asset.
- Demonstrable experience of project management and the project management cycle including planning, monitoring, financial and budget management, reporting etc.
- Experience managing ECHO cooperative agreements and/or contracts as well as the implementation of donor and INTERSOS priorities, including HDP Nexus, preferred.
- Experience managing complex activities involving coordination with multiple program partner institutions.
- Demonstrated skills building and maintaining relationships with host governments, donors, other donor-funded projects and stakeholders, local organizations, and partners.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent demonstrated interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Experience recruiting, developing, and managing staff and teams.
- Previous experience in Nigeria is an advantage but not a requirement.
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of local/regional languages is a plus
go to method of application »
Camp Management and Camp Coordination (CCCM) and Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) Coordinator
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 7 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field Administration / Secretarial
Location: Abuja with missions to the field office in Maiduguri and the field bases (Ngala, Bama, Banki, Damasak, Monguno, Magumer, Dikwa in Borno State) and other parts of Nigeria as well
Reporting to: Programme Coordinator
Contract duration: 04 Months
General context of the project
- The CCCM / RRM Coordinator is overall responsible for the RRM Project within Intersos, coordinating with other RRM donors and partners. This is a central role to Intersos’s emergency response work in Nigeria and plays a key role in supporting collaborative humanitarian response across a wider geographical area. It may involve high profile work with other consortium partners and major humanitarian actors, providing a platform for coordinated rapid response for the most vulnerable IDPs.
- The CCCM/RRM is also responsible of the oversight and support to ensure timely, effective and efficient programme delivery in the field through sound leadership, supervision and monitoring to achieve measurable results for emergency response and regular programme.
- The incumbent reports to the programme Coordinator and Head of Mission and has a supervisory role of Field offices.
- This position is subject to project award and funding.
Relationships and Accountabilities
Matrix relationships and accountabilities:
- Internal: Project Managers, Technical Coordinator and Programme Coordinator.
- External: RRM Partners and members of national and local coordination mechanism
- Budgeting Responsibility: Yes, for relevant budget lines for the project, inliaison with the PMs.
- Knowledge required includes humanitarian management and coordination expertise as well as a broad understanding of Nigeria’s humanitarian architecture and different dimensions of rapid humanitarian response, specifically with regards to specialise knowledge of Health & Nutrition, CCCM and general knowledge and experience with Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH, and Protection.
- Required to contribute to the development of strategic planning to achieve long term significant impact for the RRM response mechanism.
- Builds conducive working relationships with project and support teams, consortium partners, humanitarian agencies and local/national authorities.
- Supports the PMs and the PC in inter-agency dialogue among consortium partners on difficult issues, for common ground and navigating obstacles.
- Supports the PMs and the PC in representing Intersos in RRM consortium business at various levels (national/local authorities, NGOs, UN agencies, donors).
- Management of internal human and financial resources and external consultants as requested by the PC/PMs.
- Required to operate to tight deadlines using independent judgement.
- Leads on objective within a specific program unit/ team and contributes to Intersos’s overall humanitarian objective in Nigeria.
- High levels of creativity, and innovative problem-solving.
- Analyses, interprets and acts on complex information from varied and diverse sources.
- Applies expert knowledge of external and internal environment.
- Provides the HC and PMs with specialist advice for specific issues concerning the RRM.
- Decisions could have significant impact on public image of the consortium members.
- Problems encountered are liable to be highly diverse and complex, requiring comprehensive analysis from a wide variety of sources and strong leadership.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- Support the development and roll out of RRM assessment tools together with the Programme Coordinator and PMs and ensure coordination in the sectors.
- Ensure Gender and Protection is mainstreamed throughout assessment tools.
- Review and disseminate assessment reports as requested by the PC/PMs.
- Within Intersos lead and/or participate in multi-sectoral needs assessment in targeted and new areas of emergency intervention as directed by the line manager.
- Contribute to the development of RRM strategy, concept development and programme/ project design.
- Lead and assist teams in conducting MUAC screening to identify malnutrition cases for referral to malnutrition service providers
- Coordinate monitoring market prices of basic commodities in affected areas
- To Lead and participate in local partnership assessments for Emergency Rapid response in targeted LGAs.
Strategy Design, Development and Implementation:
- Support the design, development and implementation of Intersos’s strategic priorities for the RRM, including participation and influencing relevant national fora as directed by the PC/HOM.
- Ensure that appropriate consultation is carried out with RRM programme and support teams throughout the project.
- Develop and work with others to implement shorter-term work plans and action plans to implement the RRM consortium project.
- Work with Head of Bases/PMs implementing projects under RRM to identify strategic priorities to ensure linkages from local to national level and vice versa.
- Play a significant role in leading RRM within Intersos as a relevant and accountable mechanism for timely humanitarian response of a high quality, regardless of location.
- Support the Sector Coordinators (Protection, Health & Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihood) in ensuring key humanitarian standards and programme quality aspects related to Protection, Health & Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihood are mainstreamed and further developed within the RRM project implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Ensure the multi-sectoral emergency responses are planned implemented and monitored in an integrated way.
- Internal Coordination and Programme Management Support
- Lead and support RRM programme and support staff, often remotely, to deliver high impact work, ensuring appropriate application of the RRM project design and taking into account emerging opportunities.
- Support PMs as required in following up key RRM business support related issues are fast-tracked at Abuja level including but not limited to procurement, finance, HR and other administrative matters.
- Prepare and chair regular Intersos RRM coordination meetings, ensuring minutes of discussions and actions are captured and timely shared.
Analysis and External Engagement:
- Support the PC in building and maintaining strong professional relationships with important stakeholders (ECHO, OFDA, UNHCR, WFP, UNICEF) and other major humanitarian donors, clusters and relevant national authorities in Nigeria.
- Responsible for mitigating any reputational risk to the RRM within area of expertise and responsibility.
- Represent Intersos during RRM for as externally as required including representation in relevant coordination fora, conferences and workshops at different levels.
- Funding, Budget Management, Proposal Development and Reporting
- Follow up on project implementation progress and regular reporting within Intersos, pro-actively addressing any implementation concerns.
- Work with RRM programme and finance staff to ensure that monthly and donor narrative reports are of high quality and consistent with the financial reports.
- Present monthly/donor reports for timely sign off by the PC to enable timely submission to the consortium lead.
- Contribute and support fundraising for the continuation of the RRM mechanism as required.
- Provide, compile and share other reports and written work as required within Intersos and to other consortium members.
- Together with the Security focal points, assess risks in the areas of project implementation and develop context-specific CPP, MOSS and SOPs.
- University degree; preferably an advanced degree in an appropriate field such as Business Administration, Economics, International Relations or Development Studies
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in complex emergency settings
- Experience could substitute for a formal qualification, but not vice versa.
- Significant knowledge and experience and practice of humanitarian assistance, with at least 4 years implementation experience in complex emergencies, including insecure environments.
- A good understanding of emergency health and nutrition, food security and livelihood needs of displaced people in rural and urban settings and appropriate ways of tackling them.
- The post holder must be aware of and sensitive to the particular needs of women and vulnerable people in this context.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the workings of the international humanitarian system, including understanding of context, dilemmas, challenges and ways of working; humanitarian coordination and the UN cluster system.
- Ability to appropriately represent Intersos and its participation in a collaborative consortium to a variety of audiences, from authority officials and donors to a wide range of humanitarian practitioners.
- Great communication skills, with a demonstrable ability to articulate complex and sometimes competing ideas and experiences simply.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, and ability to manage own workload and meet organisational and external deadlines.
- Proven programme management, coordination and diplomacy skills, including strong skills in narrative and financial management and reporting,
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural team skills, together with the ability to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities, even when working remotely.
- Strong commitment to gender, protection and humanitarian action, with a high Level of energy and creativity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Previous experience in working with Intersos or similar INGO in Nigeria.
- Experience managing NGO consortium projects.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.