Journalist, BBC Pidgin Service at the BBC World Service
Signup and complete your profile on MyJobMag. Employers will find you 4x faster with a complete profile. You can download your completed profile anytime
The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) is the public-service broadcaster of the United Kingdom, headquartered at Broadcasting House in London.
It is the world’s oldest national broadcasting organisation and the second largest broadcaster in the world by number of employees, with over 20,000 staff in total, of which 16,672 are in public sector broad…
Read more about this company
Journalist, BBC Pidgin Service
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Lagos
- Job Field Media / Advertising / Branding
Job Reference: BBC / TP / 653414 / 51884
Contract Type Fixed term
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – W2020 Africa
- Originate and produce, as part of a team, a wide variety of news and current affairs content for relevant output.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- May be required to present the content on radio, TV or online. This might be live or recorded.
- May include the production and presentation of programmes. This might be live or recorded.
- Exercise editorial judgment in developing story ideas and producing accurate and impartial journalism.
- To undertake pre- and post-production and studio work, live and pre-recorded. Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programmes in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments in the BBC, to ensure that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld.
- Take a lead within a team setting or on delivering a specific piece of journalism or project as appropriate.
- To tailor different news treatments for different audiences ensuring that the output reflects the audiences we serve.
- To prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources available.
- To produce engaging packages through a range of production skills.
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC health and safety policy.
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Significant recent experience as a journalist, with a good knowledge of production techniques.
- Demonstrates sound editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage and the audience.
- Ability to use technology as required, in order to gather material for broadcast.
- Understands how a team works effectively.
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC.
- Effective planning and organising skills, ability to concentrate on several areas of work at one time, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output.
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances.
- An understanding of health and safety procedures and how they apply to broadcasting.
- High level of responsibility and decision making; able to operate alone.
- No managerial responsibility. May be informally supported by junior staff i.e. Researchers, Coordinators and Assistants.
- Covers a wide range of journalism activity, producing news content and supporting the production
- and presentation of programming.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to BBC on careerssearch.bbc.co.uk to apply
Learn how to get a job in any industry you want. Read 72 Hours to The Job You Love