Laboratory and Logistics Program Officer (Gombe State)
JOB DESCRIPTION/SCOPE OF WORK
Position Title: Laboratory and Logistics Program Officer
Location: Gombe State
This scope of work (SOW) sets forth the services to be provided by the State Laboratory and Logistics Program Officer to SAII Associates Ltd/Gte, an associate company of Chemonics International Inc. in the implementation of the USAID Global Health Supply Chain – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) in Nigeria.
Background: The purpose of the USAID Global Health Supply Chain Program–Procurement and Supply Management single award IDIQ contract is to ensure uninterrupted supplies of health commodities to prevent suffering, save lives, and create a brighter future for families around the world. The IDIQ has three task orders that directly support the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), the President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), and USAID’s family planning and reproductive health program. GHSC-PSM provides health commodity procurement services and systems strengthening technical assistance that address all elements of a comprehensive supply chain. All the three task orders are implemented in Nigeria.
The project also supports the UNAIDS 90-90-90 initiative adopted by USG PEPFAR, Federal Ministry of Health and Global Fund. A key part of achieving this goal is ensuring the optimal operating capacity of various and strategically placed diagnostic and treatment monitoring equipment across health facilities in the country with the aim of implementing a standardized and cost-efficient sample transportation and results delivery model. reduce turnaround time (TAT) for results delivery, reduce patient loss to follow up and improve early initiation of treatment for TB and HIV patients.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- The State Laboratory and Logistics Program Officer will coordinate the implementation of the integrated sample transportation and results delivery network across the specific state.
Serve as a technical resource for the implementation and administration of the National Integrated Sample Referral Network (NISRN) policies, objectives and goals.
Ensure samples are collected from all designated health facilities/ hub sites and transported to the Regional PCR laboratory
Ensure SOPs, Laboratory manuals, guidelines and forms are available and are appropriately utilized at health facilities, sample processing and storage hub, referral and testing laboratories.
Periodically carry out spot checks on 3PLs transport facilities and cooling devises to ensure compliance with standard requirement.
Diligent record keeping of managed-vendors (3PLs) for samples movements and result retrieval back to the requesting service delivery points
Carry out bi-weekly samples and results audits to ensure all samples are tested and results/reports generated are delivered to the requesting facility/hubs/Implementing Partners
Monthly, compare submitted data from 3PLs with those of PCR sites as justification for payment.
Coordinate the efforts of Logistics Advisors at the regions for effective management of the NISRN strategy
Coordinate the receipt of states and regional reports, review and provide weekly and monthly summary of samples transfer and result returns.
Maintain partner relationships and coordination among stakeholders; ensure high quality and timely delivery of all contractual and programmatic obligations.
The State Laboratory and Logistics Program Officer will work closely with all implementing partners operating in the region.
Other Responsibilities Include:
- As a member of the GHSC-PSM state team, work with the Senior Manager Region 7 to develop strategic direction for project-supported health system strengthening and supply chain management technical assistance.
- When requested by the State Team Lead, attend technical meetings and represent the project to USAID, partners and the MOH, liaising with partners and stakeholders at the regional and state levels.
- Coach and mentor LMCU focal persons to design and implement technical assistance and capacity building initiatives that improve the ability of MOH staff at the facility, state and regional level to manage the supply and distribution of priority health commodities.
- Oversee the implementation of targeted training and capacity building programs to improve laboratory management, use of data and electronic information systems, quality assurance, and accountability at the facility, state, regional, and central levels; revise programs based on a process of continual evaluation.
- Oversee development of technical manuals, guidelines, and standard operating procedures for sample pick up and result delivery.
- Manage the design, development and implementation of health and logistics systems supporting various health commodities with emphasis on Lab commodities for various PCR Platforms.
- Provide technical support in the implementation of system strengthening initiatives and pilots, including the continued national roll-out of a web-based LMIS, for Supply Chain strengthening.
- When requested, provide technical oversight and direction for sub-contractors supporting implementation of various project activities.
- Document and track lessons learned to support roll-out of health and logistics systems.
- Other duties as required by leadership.
- Deep knowledge of Nigeria’s health sector landscape and a network of contacts in the State Ministry of Health and PEPFAR/Global Fund implementing partners
- Ability to provide technical support to ensure that activities are designed and implemented with high quality and meet project timelines
- Ability to mentor and build capacity of health care providers on the implementation of the NISRN strategy
- Ability to provide recommendations for improvement and Optimization of the NISRN strategy
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills, as well as system troubleshooting
- Excellent in communication, presentation and technical writing skills
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision.
Bachelor’s degree in medical laboratory science, public health, logistics management, or its equivalent. Additional Master’s Degree in relevant area is an advantage
Minimum of 5 years’ professional experience in Laboratory Logistics Management/Clinical Sample Management or its equivalent,
Registered with the professional regulatory government agency
Specific expertise in HIV/AIDS, TB or Malaria programs.
Strong analytical, problem solving, and excellent technical writing and oral presentation skills are highly desired.
Knowledge of Polymerase Chain Reaction equipment for viral load and Early Infants’ Diagnosis, and GeneXpert machine is desirable
Ability to use Microsoft office suite packages (Excel, words, PowerPoint).
Show keen interest in learning, turn on job experiences into research articles for Publications or Conference papers and, mentor Logistics Advisors and Associates.
The Laboratory and Logistics Program Officer will report directly to the GHSC-PSM Senior Manager region 7 and Director Laboratory & Logistics Program or his designee.
Working Conditions/Duration of Assignment
This is a long-term position for the life of the contract.
How to apply:
To apply click the link below: