Laboratory Technician/Scientist (Nigerian Nationals Only)
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job title: Laboratory Technician/Scientist
Work location: Based in one of the following locations: Bama, Dikwa, Ngala and Magumeri
Starting date: As soon as possible
Reporting to: Clinic Supervisor and Medical Activity Manager
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Under the supervision of the clinical supervisor and medical activity manager, s/he will provide professional technical support in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition of the target population.
To increase competency and capacity in laboratory medicine at the Project level with the goal of improving and complementing medical care.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
• To support laboratory components of the project(s) through the integration of laboratory activities into the project in terms of management, guidance, and support.
• To support laboratory activities through input in strategy, management, and supervision of staff.
• To ensure/continue the quality of the laboratory activities in the projects incl. internal and external quality control monitoring.
• To interview and hire laboratory assistants.
• To train (theoretical & practical) laboratory staff in the appropriate use and care of the laboratory tools ensuring a high quality of diagnostics.
• To inform and train staff on biosafety standards and safe laboratory practices considering both staff and patients.
• To manage laboratory stock for equipment, consumables and other supplies.
• To prepare monthly laboratory reports.
• To assess and evaluate external laboratories if required.
• Identify opportunities for program development.
• Licensed medical laboratory technician or scientist.
• Two years of relevant professional work experience
• Ability to demonstrate initiative, work independently
• Experience in supervision, management, and coaching
• Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, powerpoint presentation, etc.)
• Strong sense of responsibility, methodical and accurate with high organizational skills
• Manages effectively his own time as well as flexible and available to work overtime when needed
• Willing to be deployed to the newly liberated local government areas.
• Commitment to the values upheld by INTERSOS
• Fluency in English, Kanuri, and Hausa;
• Strong interpersonal and team-building skills and excellence as a team player.
• Must possess the ability to learn with speed and ease.
• Honesty and integrity and able to cope with stressful situations.