Laboratory Technologist at the International Organization for Migration (IOM)
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Technologist
SVN No. : SVN2021.22
Organizational Unit: Migration Health
IOM Classification: G4
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST), 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As Soon as Possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the direct supervision of the Migration Health Officer and the technical supervision of the Regional Laboratory Specialist in Nairobi, the incumbent will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Ensure collection of sputum specimens for testing in migration related health assessments.
- Prepare specimens and arrange transport for follow-up testing as required.
- Liaise with approved external/subcontracted Laboratories of Lagos on test requirements and timely result reporting as well as to monitor that quality assurance measures are taken for the testing of all specimens accordingly as per the IOM Migration Health Department (MHD) Technical instructions.
- Follow up on invoice timely submission from external laboratories.
- Strictly follow all anti-fraud measures for specimen collection
- Perform serological testing for the migration health programs including both screen and confirmatory testing
- Carry out the sterilization processes for the laboratory reagents and waste disposal
- Timely process of laboratory specimens and result posting, including Pre-Departure Medical Screening result posting.
- Strictly follow all safety guidelines and instructions including the use of PPE.
- Strictly follow all Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for testing conducted
- Liaise with the Regional Laboratory Specialist to monitor quality assurance measures for the collection and testing of all specimens according to IOM guidelines and inform supervisor of any discrepancy.
- Maintain an electronic database for all IOM laboratory testing.
- Liaise with Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) Abuja and Nairobi laboratories to follow up on results and harmonize SOPs.
- Perform Gonorrhea testing
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory with two years of continuous working experience or
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Techniques with four years of continuous working experience
- Applicant must be registered in Nigeria
- Minimum of two years’ work experience in a Medical Laboratory environment.
- Training and experience in TB, HIV, STDs, and other communicable diseases testing is an added advantage.
- Mature individual, able to work independently, effectively, and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds at all levels.
- Tolerant individual with ability to work with migrants at all ages and from different background and with flexibility and able to work on overtime, when requested
- Capable of working under stressful and difficult conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities.
- Previous work experience with an international organization and NGOs dealing with refugees would be a strong advantage
- Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Office (Excel, Word, Access) and experience in working with databases and online applications.
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in multiple local languages is advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
6th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: [email protected] indicating position applied on subject line.
Important Information and Notice
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” and with a subject line “SVN2021.22 – Laboratory Technologist – Lagos Nigeria”.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian Nationals