Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Language Services Coordinator
Contract length: one year, with the possibility of extension
Travel: The position is office-based with very limited travel
Reporting to: Country Director
- The Language Services Coordinator manages the provision of language services, advises humanitarian organizations on language-related needs, develops new language tools, develops and implements the Nigeria language services strategy and inputs into the global languages services strategy.
- The Language Services Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that TWB’s language services in Nigeria are effectively and efficiently managed, and are of the highest possible quality and timeliness standards.
- The Coordinator also has a significant externally facing role, working closely with other NGOs, attending coordination meetings, and advocating for information and communications to be in the right languages and formats.
- The Language Services Coordinator reports to the Country Director and is a member of the Country Management Team.
- The Language Services Coordinator will also collaborate closely with the global Language Services Team who will provide support and ensure that the processes and technologies used in Nigeria are in line with our global strategy.
- The Language Services Coordinator should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language.
- The right candidate is an energetic team player and leader who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work virtually with team members based throughout the world.
Management of Language Services Team:
- Lead, manage, empower, and recruit, as and when necessary, the language leads in Nigeria. The team currently consists of Language Leads for eight local Nigerian languages.
- Evolve the business model for TWB’s language services in Nigeria, ensuring that it is scalable to the whole of the country.
- Provide training and guidance on TWB systems, procedures and processes to staff and ensure that they are understood and adhered to.
- Build staff capacity and promote collaborative and supportive team dynamics.
- Reliably and actively collaborate with colleagues towards the achievements of the country team’s deliverables.
- Actively contribute to the development of TWB’s program strategy and monitor its progress.
Project Management, Monitoring, Reporting and Quality Assurance:
- Lead the entire life-cycle of multiple translation projects in a fast-paced environment
- In collaboration with the Language Services Team (LST), plan and coordinate the delivery of all language services projects. This will include but is not limited to translations, transcriptions, plain language editing, subtitling and dubbing, glossary development, translator and interpreter training, language guidance documentation and awareness sessions,
- Ensure that TWB services are executed to the highest possible quality and timeliness standards.
- In collaboration with the LST, implement and monitor relevant and applicable procedures for quality assurance of language services
- Collaborate with wider language services and tech development team to ensure that systems support in-country language quality assurance processes and put tools in place to that effect for the Nigeria program.
- Develop and promote new language services to ensure that TWB maintains an innovative approach.
- Anticipate needs and maintain sufficient capacity
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the evidence and impact country plan and collaborate with monitoring staff to ensure up-to-date records about language services are available for internal program development and external reporting as necessary
Linguistic Capacity Development and Management:
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a volunteer recruitment and engagement strategy to actively build up communities of active volunteer translators for different languages, working with the global community team
- Design and implement an engagement strategy to ensure that TWB collaborates with language service providers and academics in Nigeria and beyond to mobilise the linguistic capacity needed to deliver on TWB’s objectives
- Research the dialects of local target languages and develop capacity for cross-border language services in the Lake Chad region.
- Establish and maintain excellent relationships with partner organizations like INGOs and UN agencies
- Support the needs analysis of partners and proactively propose the most suitable language services
- Conduct partner outreach to ensure sufficient uptake of new services
- Monitor partner satisfaction
- Represent TWB at meetings as appropriate
- Maintain open and professional relationships with the internal TWB team, TWB volunteers, partner agencies and donors
- Participate in organization-wide discussions, contributing actively
- Contribute to a positive, innovative and supportive work environment
- Any other duties relevant to the job description as needed
- The role will evolve during the course of the initial deployment as projects and activities develop so flexibility and the willingness to adapt to constantly changing circumstances is important.
- 3+ years experience in Project Management
- Familiarity with the translation, language or content industries
- Experience in leading teams of 5+ staff
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Fluency in one or more non-English languages
- Proficient in standard Microsoft Windows applications, Asana and other software applications
- Knowledge of translation technology tools (e.g. CAT, Memsource)
- Experience with nonprofit organizations, especially in development or humanitarian contexts
- Experience in recruiting, managing and engaging volunteers
- University Degree in studies related to Linguistics, Translation, Communication or related subject
- Experience in disaster relief/humanitarian aid
- Knowledge and experience of quality assurance procedures for translation
- Experience in designing and delivering trainings
- International experience
- Willingness to live and work in a volatile security context
- Demonstrates initiative, persistence, ability to problem solve, and enthusiasm for learning
- Good interpersonal skills; able to work well in a team-oriented, collaborative, cross-functional environment
- Ability to mediate, negotiate, and resolve conflicts constructively
- Able to innovate to find creative solutions; willing to explore new technologies
- Resourceful, able to get more out of small budgets
- Strong ability to multitask, prioritize, and work independently with minimal supervision
- Detail-oriented, thorough, accurate, able to meet deadlines under time pressure, and able to work quickly and steadily in a focused manner
- Able to deal with frequent changes, delays, interruptions, and unexpected events; flexibility and can-do attitude
- USD4,000 – USD4,600 monthly.
We offer in addition to salary:
- An innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team
- Location-specific hardship allowance
- A 3-month Rest & Recuperation cycle, including additional leave and travel
- 20 days of annual leave and 10 days of floating holidays
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: This is a re-advertised position, previous applicants need not apply
Application Deadline 11th April, 2022.